thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1165 posts
  • UK

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:31 PM

so... frank millers graphic novel is being made into a feature film

http://www.apple.com...lers/wb/300/hd/

so i am so unbelieveably excited about this... looks awesome! awesome awesome awesome... i love the story of the spartans saving the athenian enemy by routing the persian army... awesome awesom awesom

but the thing is it s also coming out in the IMAX... so this is basically going to be the most important thing i am going to do in the next couple of months.. see this film. I ve heard loads of people slate watching say superman at the IMAX... Is it true? Any of you had experience in watching a regular film at the IMAX. When u shoot Imax for IMAX you take into account the fact that what you are shooting the human eye won t be able to dart around like on a regular cinema screen. I ve never operated any IMAX let alone dop ed etc. but I imagine one would go about it very differently.

Anyway... should I go see it at the IMAX or should I just go to my trusty cinema that I like the sound system and projector.

http://iesb.net/inde...e...0&Itemid=29

N.B. I walked out of "perfume" the other day because it was digitally projected! it looked awefull!

#2 Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Jeff Muhlstock SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 240 posts
  • New Jersey, USA

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:50 AM

When u shoot Imax for IMAX you take into account the fact that what you are shooting the human eye won t be able to dart around like on a regular cinema screen. I ve never operated any IMAX let alone dop ed etc. but I imagine one would go about it very differently.

Very different indeed, it?s more of a square frame. Compositionally, totally different approach. I only shot one and only one IMAX film. Cool experience, but a beast beyond fun. Like flying a small lawn mower. Anyway, headroom falls way lower in the frame, more of a center, top to bottom (I was told, this prevents the audience from having to look to far up at the screen). Too much panning is a no no, unless you want your audience to vomit. These where the basic differences.

I used the ?IWorks? camera (a smaller custom 70mm camera for handheld/Steadicam) which had a more traditional vertical mag set up (well balanced). The funny thing about it, I used this monster with my old modified EFP... that?s right, an EFP. At the time, I had a 3A arm, 3A gimbal, and I think, a Master vest. It worked out just fine, but it was a very painful 2 1/2 minute mag. The movie was "IMAX All Access". I shot the "Sting" performance. I was terrified when I saw the first screening on the BIG screen. Awesome sound track...great music.

http://webevents.bro...cess/index.html

Jeff

#3 John Buzz Moyer

John Buzz Moyer

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 91 posts
  • Sewickley, Pennsylvania

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:33 PM

I seem to remember drawing a square with a grease pencil somewhere in the middle of frame and being told to "keep it in there or it won't be comfortable to watch." , and yes...heavy was the main feature that day.

#4 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 February 2007 - 05:44 PM

Had exactly the same experiences as you two cats; fascinating experience, particularly the framing.

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

PLC - Bartech

BOXX

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Teradek

Wireless Video Systems