2 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly McClure

Kelly McClure

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • St. Louis, MO

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:25 AM

Hello, I'm a newbie and have just recieved an SK2. I know it's a basic model but for what I do it should work out for now. I shoot mostly video with a Sony IMX in 30P and 16 X 9 mode. My question is do any of you know of a monitor that I can replace the 4 X 3 monitor on the SK? I would like a 16 X 9 that can take a SDI input. I've contacted Tiffen with no luck. I have a class scheduled with Janice Arthur in a few weeks to learn the rig but thought I would check here.

I'm really excited to be using Steadicam. I'm a DP and have been shooting for fifteen years and this will be my first experience operating a rig. I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and have learned a great deal. What an amazing forum and wealth of knowledge.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1776 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:57 AM

If you are not already aware, be careful about replacing the green screen on an SK. The distance of the monitor and battery from the center post were designed to compliment each other, keeping the rig in dynamic balance. If you put a lighter monitor on there, I strongly suggest changing the monitor arm as well to one that telescopes so you can alter this distance to maintain balance.

Enjoy Janice's class. She is a great teacher. I'd recommend not changing the rig until after the workshop so you'll have a better understanding to the ins & outs of balance as well as a better sense of what other monitors are out there.

Good luck.

#3 JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1359 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:57 AM

Shooting in IMX 30 i assume your using a XD Cam. Be careful with that, with a mattebox and some other stuff you max out the arm.

You can rebuild the sk2 monitor to a 16x9 switch very easy. Go to a technicus guy how can make you that switch. i did that in the old days and it worked well. Sdi, i wouldnt go that route. The sk2 is now sort of in dynamic balance ( sort of ) and you destroy that witch a lighter setup monitor. Go out and learn to shoot with the sk2, but dont bother to upgrade it, its a dead end road. Believe me, i have been there.

My last experience with the sk2 was 3 years ago in africa. Also shooting with XD using its onboard battery. The XD loves juice so thats why we had to use its own battery. The arm was max out and after a few hours one of the bones broke. I almost smashed the camera on the ground. Could be the crappy rental , but since then, i dont trust the arm that much.

Good luck with the workshop

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Camera Motion Research

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech