8 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Wowchuk

Dave Wowchuk

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 123 posts
  • Winnipeg, MB Canada

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:04 PM

I ran into a situation today where I needed to run BNC out of a camera (Hitachi Z-One-C ... old school) to the TV control room (instead of using 28 pin multicore). The camera only had one BNC out, so I split the signal: one to my sled, the other to the control room. Well, the picture looked like crap (we lost something like 40 units when it was split.)

I'm wondering what would be the best way of adding another BNC connection? (either hardwired or a cable)
I have 4 Lemo video out/12v out ... maybe I could make a cable that converts it to a BNC & 12v?

Any ideas or suggestions (aside from NOT USING that camera ... hahaha.)

Thanks!

Dave

#2 Lawrence Karman

Lawrence Karman

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:24 PM

I ran into a situation today where I needed to run BNC out of a camera (Hitachi Z-One-C ... old school) to the TV control room (instead of using 28 pin multicore). The camera only had one BNC out, so I split the signal: one to my sled, the other to the control room. Well, the picture looked like crap (we lost something like 40 units when it was split.)

I'm wondering what would be the best way of adding another BNC connection? (either hardwired or a cable)
I have 4 Lemo video out/12v out ... maybe I could make a cable that converts it to a BNC & 12v?

Any ideas or suggestions (aside from NOT USING that camera ... hahaha.)

Thanks!

Dave

Dave, get yourself a small video distribution amplifier. Video Accesory Corp makes several models that are small and light and run off of a 9v battery or 12v. www.vac-brick.net

#3 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:49 AM

I may be way off here, and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but by splitting the signal you may be terminating it twice which would result in the significant drop in luminance. If you find that this is the case, see if you can remove termination from one of the sources.

Dan

#4 charlesneufeld

charlesneufeld

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:39 AM

Hey Dave,

I seem to remember when I was working on your junction box that it has a DA built into it. Send me an email, I think I have an idea.

~C

#5 Michael Jones

Michael Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:29 PM

http://www.horita.co...px?Product=PDA2

This has been working great for me.

#6 Jason Torbitt

Jason Torbitt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Manchester, London UK

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:46 PM

Marell manufacture a nice video DA box which also runs off a 9v PP3 battery, it's a nice little unit that's also a good price, and you get 4 video outputs from the 1 input source. Listed on their website under 'Accessories' - www.marell.co.uk

#7 Dave Wowchuk

Dave Wowchuk

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 123 posts
  • Winnipeg, MB Canada

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:18 AM

Hey Dave,

I seem to remember when I was working on your junction box that it has a DA built into it. Send me an email, I think I have an idea.

~C

Hey Charles,

I should have mentioned that in my original post. Yes indeed it has a DA already, it only lacks a second BNC out.

#8 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:05 AM

Hi guys;

I solved this by having the "output" of the control room send you back a "good" video signal that you can feed into your monitor.

You have to carry a second BNC but it solves the problem in a pinch.

(This also works if you don't have a downconverter on an HD camera. The truck or deck or monitor can send you an NTSC signal via a second cable.) I was hired last minute on a multicamera job with no DConverter and it worked great.

(I too split a video signal on one of my first jobs and learned the hard way that is no good.)

I also now have a VAC video DA is my bag just in case. They are great.

I haven't needed to do this for years but with all the technology changing it is a viable solution.

JA

#9 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:27 PM

I had that too many moons ago, and used an small spidercam i have in my kit. Used some gaffer tape and stick that small thing in the vieuwvinder. It runs on a small 9v battery, gives a solid video picture of the vieuwfinder and used that to give my sled the video signal it needed. That thing costs around 20 bucks on ebay. Make sure it has the right lens on it, works for me

BOXX

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

SkyDreams

Teradek

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC - Bartech