• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MarkKaravite

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 327 posts
  • Detroit, Chicago, New York

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:35 PM

Has anyone run a Genesis (with recorder on) off of Dionic 90's successfully? I am weighing Dionics vs. Power Cubes for new batteries, and this camera is high on the list of considerations for power. If the Dionics work, I can avoid new chargers & battery mounts. I have seen input on the Power Cubes, so mainly looking for experience from those using Genesis / Dionic 90 combo.

My current sled is:

PRO Upper J Box
XCS post
MK-V Nexus base (with 3 battery mounts)

I understand the Genesis's high amperage draw is potentially too much for the Lemo power connectors. I will put a call into GPI about this. Any input running Genesis on Dionics is appreciated.

Best regards,

Mark Karavite
A Camera / Steadicam Operator

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2208 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 December 2006 - 01:37 AM

I have adamantly avoided running it one-piece, but I believe it is possible to power it off two Dionics with direct cabling from the batteries (P-tap), although not for very long.

For long-term consideration, it is likely that the Genesis will be going out with onboard flash drives within six months or so which will cut the power draw down a good amount. With any luck we will never see another camera for Steadicam use (if you can call the one-piece Genesis that) that pulls this kind of amperage. Then again, 3D seems to be on the upswing...oy.

#3 MarkKaravite

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 327 posts
  • Detroit, Chicago, New York

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:11 PM

Do you prefer not to fly the Genesis in 1 piece due to power, or weight, or is it both? I have not flown it yet, but I know the VTR "mag" weighs the same as a 1000' magazine. Although the overall weight is supposed to be close to an XL, I imagine being so backheavy could be a problem. Is this your experience?

I was in Atlanta for the IA Central Region's digital cinema camera training last weekend. Al Mayer Jr. mentioned that a flash drive was in the works. That would solve both the power & weight problems.

What run times are you experiencing with the Camera split from the recorder, and what batteries are you using? On another note, I spoke with Hugo last night, and he says you have a XMas present coming shaped like a new battery hanger. Let us know how you like it.

#4 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:53 PM

Mark, also check this thread about the Genesis:

For additional Genesis power info:

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers