Beta SP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelStewart

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:52 AM

I am looking at using a Beta SP camera on my SK, I need a battery that will allow me to shoot over an hour continuously, does anyone have a recommendation? what is the average weight of a camera like that?

#2 Michael Stumpf

Michael Stumpf

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 490 posts
  • U.S.

Posted 28 March 2004 - 03:12 PM

Beta SP's are pretty light.

To get over an hour of continous running you are going to need one of three A/B batteries:

Hytron 100 (5.5 pounds)
Hytron 120 (5.9 pounds)
Dionic 90 (1.8 pounds)

As you can see, the Dionic 90 would be the way to go. I own 2 of them and used them on a Beta SP shoot recently and I didn't need to change the battery for about 4 hours. Not continous shooting of course, but a decent amount of rehearsing, shooting, checking balances, sound checks, etc etc.

PAG also makes Lithium Batteries, but they cost more and A/B is the industry standard.

Oh, if the DP plans on using filters, be sure to get a clamp on matte box, otherwise you'll be flying the 6x6 matte box with full rods, then you'll NEED to fly the big Hytrons just to balance. This makes for a heavy rig with a long post!

#3 JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1359 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 28 March 2004 - 03:34 PM

You will have to change the tape after 30 minutes, so change your battery as well.

#4 MichaelStewart

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 05:32 PM

Thanks Michael and Job!

#5 TJ Williams

TJ Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 28 March 2004 - 07:54 PM

Micheal, I've used an SK with a docked camera Betacam, in a running situation. and it would be better to use a 300/400/600 one piece. as you are getting near the top of the little sk arm. You should be able to power from your sled. If you are using a matt box use the Chrozeil clip on or the lt wt support.

Yea, change tapes and batts at once like mentioned above. The big problem with moving much down the post with adjustment is that the post is so short it will be difficult to move the sled across your body as the arm won't fit above the little bent thing that holds the brick. I've been told on good authority that the bent thing can be mounted lower, by putting the little post piece above it, to make this work better. appearantly a little wiring and machine work. Otherwise as you are finding out the sled basically only works well with a very narrow range of camera weights.

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Varizoom Follow Focus

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Camera Motion Research

Betz Tools for Stabilizers