4 replies to this topic

#1 JakePollock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 09:41 AM

Erwin or anyone else in the "know,"

I saw a picture at the steadicenter.com site of a ring-light mounted on a 435. Do you remember what kind it is and where you rented it from? Or is it yours? Thanks in advance.

I went to the same machinist here in Taiwan who made my practice cage, and he wants about 800 bucks to build an aluminum ring-light. Seems pretty f-ed up to me.

Jake Pollock
Taipei, Taiwan

#2 thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1163 posts
  • UK

Posted 27 March 2004 - 03:45 PM

i have been developing some steadicam ring lights (cold cathode tubes) for a while. sorted all the obvious colour balance hurdles and now trying to up the output power enough to compete with kino s. ill let u know when done if u like.

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 10:26 PM

While not a ring light, for those interested in on-camera light solutions, check out litepanel.com. A daylight-balanced LED light solution. Interesting unit. I understand the show "24" has them stashed all over their set.

#4 RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 915 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 28 March 2004 - 01:46 AM

Last year I posted some pictures of my ringlight that I made, so have a search on the 2003 forum.

It all depends on the light output that you want. I just did a shot with a kinoflo ringlight (small, about 10 inch dia.) and was not impressed with the output. With a stop of around 5.6 and on 320T I had to put the model as close as 80-100 cms to have a bit of effect.
The connector part on he lamp annoyed me because it makes a dark segment in the circle that is reflected in the eyes.

The one I made for around 50$ and a lot of work had 8 150 watt halogen lamps so a total output of 1200 watts and that starts to make a difference. Specially with Steadicam, you have a bit more room to manouver, but it is huge and sometimes awkward to handle and to balance.

It weighted around 3 kgs and was of course wired to a dimmer so a gaffer could adjust the output a bit while moving.

Considering the work that you have to put into making a good, lightweight system, you can expect a bill like that if you have it made in a workshop. So do it yourself if you want it cheap. Nobody is paying you anyway in your spare/free time so that´s the first saving!

Rob van Gelder, Bangkok, Thailand

#5 DavidAmphlett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:39 PM

If you want one properly engineered, reliable, lightweight and with
good output then it isn't going to come cheap.

We have one that takes all comers on and weighs just over a 1lb 8oz,
or 700g in new money. More punchy than the Kino ringlight and
battery powered. 12v - 24v.

Dimmable and fits onto the lens or on Arri 19mm bars or Panavision PV
side bars.

Oh and it's tungsten or daylight balanced.

for more details.

Camera Motion Research

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery