#1 Philip J. Martinez SOC

Philip J. Martinez SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 256 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:47 PM

Hi

I just got a call to shoot a High School football game with my rig (don't know if I'll get it they are going to get back to me) I would appreciate any advice I could get. I do not watch football on TV so I'm not to sure what some of the standard shots might be.

I asked and they do not want to use a vehicle mount.

Thank You,

Philip

#2 Chris Konash

Chris Konash

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 111 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:31 PM

The steadicam for football on TV that I have seen was all done toward the end zone in the direction the drive is going. Mostly from the end zone to the 10 or 20 yard line at each end. Great for the long pass touchdowns and the reactions just following a touchdown.

If your cam is being switched try to make your life easy and rent a broadcast (minimal delay) microwave system or at the end of the day you'll wish you did.

Good Luck,

Christopher Konash

p.s. A handsfree would also be a plus if you have the ability to clear an area for yourself.

#3 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:16 PM

The World Cup had Steadicam guys on the sidelines which worked great for tracking shots. Because it's soccer they kept them down by the goal lines - for corner kicks, I imagine. For football I would think they'd want you running the length of the field. I suppose you could get some cool shots from the ends but you've got a lot of players stacking up so I would think it would be tough catching a lot of usable stuff.

Or just do what I did for an LA Street Basketball show and run around ON the field! Impossible with a vest-mounted rig. I used a handheld Glidecam that worked great.

Dan

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:01 PM

Or just do what I did for an LA Street Basketball show and run around ON the field! Impossible with a vest-mounted rig. I used a handheld Glidecam that worked great.

Dan

The XFL had two operators (vest and all) on the field at all times. One behind the defense and one behind the offense. Of course the XFL offered no insurance for those operators....I remember they called a lot of steadicam operators and couldn't find anyone that would do it. I believe they ended up talking handheld guys (that had never done steadicam before) into doing it. Interesting operating to say the least.

#5 Philip J. Martinez SOC

Philip J. Martinez SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 256 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:06 PM

Hi Guy's

Thanks for the posts. I needed an idea on where to start talking about shots, thanks Chris and Dan. Brad I did not think about the insurance thing till now so I'll stay off the field during play's as a Newbie I just get excited when people call that I forget about the insurance thing .I will remember for the next time.

Thanks again,

Philip (hope I don't get tackled by a teenager) Martinez

#6 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:42 PM

Philip, is this a real match or a scene for a movie?

I never did live matches, the last one was about some story between (gay) football players :) really!
Then they mentioned it was in the pouring rain (rain machines), a lot of low mode, slipping and sliding.
i quickly had to buy some decent soccer shoes to keep me standing.

Oh yes, it was with a Moviecam Compact too :(

So check the sort of shots they want if it is not a live coverage where you can only stand behind the lines.

Shoes on grass is VERY important, our sound/boom man made a nasty slide on his butt because of the wet grass!

#7 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:56 AM

Gay football players in the rain and operating low mode...please tell me it was a flat rate of $350/day with no insurance. That would be the icing on the cake.

#8 Philip J. Martinez SOC

Philip J. Martinez SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 256 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:44 AM

Philip, is this a real match or a scene for a movie?

I never did live matches, the last one was about some story between (gay) football players :) really!
Then they mentioned it was in the pouring rain (rain machines), a lot of low mode, slipping and sliding.
i quickly had to buy some decent soccer shoes to keep me standing.

Oh yes, it was with a Moviecam Compact too :(

So check the sort of shots they want if it is not a live coverage where you can only stand behind the lines.

Shoes on grass is VERY important, our sound/boom man made a nasty slide on his butt because of the wet grass!

It is a real High School game. I got some cleats and knee pads. I'm on the side line and I have my guy as a spotter. the game is today @ 7:00 P.M. I just got in to town. I hope it goes well!!! thanks for the posts

Philip

#9 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:42 AM

Philip (hope I don't get tackled by a teenager) Martinez

If she's 18 and a red head...

Sorry... couldn't resist.

#10 Philip J. Martinez SOC

Philip J. Martinez SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 256 posts
  • New York, NY

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:24 AM

I finished shooting the Football game, luckly no falls for me.

I shot 6 tapes (3 hours) with a 15min. 1/2 time break, my left shoulder hurts, do you think it is a problem with the way I have my vest set or is it just because I shot for 3 hours?

Thanks,

Philip

#11 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:05 AM

Gay football players in the rain and operating low mode...please tell me it was a flat rate of $350/day with no insurance. That would be the icing on the cake.

Actually..... this is almost true !! :D

Hey, this is Thailand : cheap cheap, quickly quickly, good,good, no we want all 3, cannot choose :blink: :blink:

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Engineered Cinema Solutions

SkyDreams

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems

BOXX

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

GPI Pro Systems

PLC - Bartech

Boland Communications