21 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Fasanella

Kyle Fasanella

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 95 posts
  • NYC

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:23 AM

Hey guys I just got my site for steadicam up with a short I worked on. I love to hear what you guys think.

KyleFasanella.com

#2 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:45 AM

Hey guys I just got my site for steadicam up with a short I worked on. I love to hear what you guys think.

KyleFasanella.com

Nice site kyle.., you own the Flyer ? If so, then maybe i can hire youre flyer in the near future in Orlando ?
By the way, nice shots.., i love the tracking shots and for sure the close shot between the seats !
Erik

#3 Matt Burton

Matt Burton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • UK

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:40 AM

Have you taken a workshop Kyle ?

#4 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

Kyle:

It's a start. You've created a web presence (probably good if you are trying to get work to have separated yourself from the "Vile Kyle" moniker!) and put up pictures and a video.

I personally think you are setting yourself up a bit by using the phrase "When you only want the best" on your site at this stage of your career. It's a bit like the diner the corner having a sign that says "Best Hamburger in town!". I would even go so far as to recommend that you lose the word "professional" before "Steadicam operator". Professionals don't have to announce themselves as such.

On to the film. Directorially, the choice of having it be virtually all Steadicam works against it. The float that is apparent on the wider shots doesn't really work for setting up the atmosphere, and it's not a great selling point for your Steadicam work (whereas other shots look very good). My recommendation would be that you cut a short piece with your BEST shots in there set to music.

Having access to serious filmmaking tools like Steadicam is great, but the danger is there that at first one can be too in love with the idea and EVERYTHING has to move (with 35mm adaptors, the comparable attitude is that EVERYTHING has to be in shallow focus).

We've all been there. To this day I'm still guilty of keeping a shot or two on my reel that are only there because the story behind the shot made it so formidable "see, I had to step over that guy's head! In low-mode!" etc. But really, it's all about putting your absolute best foot forward and when you don't have a surplus of material to show, be judicious. Be elegant. Don't oversell. Let your work do the talking.

Finally, some nitpicking on the site itself--the copy is a bit off, with a few punctuation and spelling mistakes and odd syntax. All this stuff counts if you are hanging out your shingle.

Look forward to seeing how things develop for you.

#5 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:44 AM

Excellent advice CP. I always llike your advice. I make sure to always try to follow everything you say to new comers. Thank you for your candid suggestions. Makes me know what to do and not to do. THanks for being an inspiration to us all. :)

#6 Kyle Fasanella

Kyle Fasanella

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 95 posts
  • NYC

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice. I am making corrections as I regard each comment with utermost thanks.

Charles thanks for all the advice. its simply increiblejust being able to communicate with you guys here. after watching your reels containing some of my fav movies.

as far as the film goes its the first thing i ever shot. also I am three months into practice. I wasnt happy with some of the horizontal. anything else you guys think should work on?

as soon as i get some choices I will make a more diverse reel for you guys to critique.

what do you mean that the copy is a bit off?

thanks for the help

I am also intresting in renting the flyer to thoes who are trained. I love to more on how guys do this.

#7 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

Hey Kyle,

Your ambition is good. Making a short like you did that is entirely Steadicam might work best as an experiment: practice for your operating, practice for your shot directing, and when it is finished, practice in seeing when is best to use Steadicam, and when the shot would've been better served using a different tool.

As far as what else to work on, I think every operator knows his or her weaknesses. If not, take a look at other ops' reels. Take a look through the "operating" section of this site. You'll find the skills most sought after by DP's, Directors, and operators themselves.

I too am a stickler for grammar, punctuation, etc. Your last post has some good examples: "utermost", "incrediblejust", "thoes".... In a casual forum those mistakes are not a problem. However, for a website you are using to promote yourself, it should be entirely error free.

Best Regards,
Afton

#8 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:59 AM

what do you mean that the copy is a bit off?

The section that is headlined "what separates me from the rest?" has some odd syntax in it...

"Work in high definition" a bit confusing--are you saying you work in high definition or you have works available to show?

"with crystal clear Sennheiser (etc.)" this phrase is sort of hanging in space--is it another bulleted point that illustrates the "what separates me..." notion?

"optional distributed video online", again hard to understand what part of speech you are going for. Perhaps "available online distribution" would be one way to phrase it. Then there is a misplaced comma after "family" (the space is before instead of after the comma)

"One of the first in High Definition Experience"--this sounds like it was badly translated from Japanese, to be honest. Is this implying that you were one of the first to have gained experience in shooting HD?

"if your looking for still photography" should be "you're".

That's just a few of them. I'm in agreement with Afton--online chat allows for some slack in grammar and spelling (although I prefer to be reasonably careful myself) but websites promoting one's services should be carefully proofread. You don't want to give a potential client the opportunity to question hiring you over something that remote from the job at hand.

#9 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1800 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

"You don't want to give a potential client the opportunity to question hiring you over something that remote from the job at hand."

Yeah, except (maybe I should say accept - ha) the people who are hiring these days seem to be the twenty somethings who were never taught grammar in the first place. Just heard on the radio yesterday that New York is reintroducing grammar to its schools because they finally realized that it is not okay to ignore it so everyone can feel good about themselves.

Charles, in all the years I've known you, it never occurred to me that you share the initials of the company that brought us Steadicam (someone referred to you as "CP").

#10 Charles King

Charles King

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 343 posts
  • Sweden

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:39 AM

Charles, in all the years I've known you, it never occurred to me that you share the initials of the company that brought us Steadicam (someone referred to you as "CP").

Actually Alec, it was I, CK. ;) I refered to him as CP because over at the DVInfo.net forums we were always confused about the names when someone referred to us as Charles and we didn't know which name he or she was referring to. So we decided to refer toeach other as CP and CK. After that when people posted questions they would use either CK when they were referring to Charles King or CP if they were referring to Charles Papert. :) Made life easy.

#11 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:24 AM

I do love the last pic on your site :P But i suggest to take it off. It looks a bit showing off.
But thats my opinion.

Posted Image

And operating with sunglasses? Thats new to me, but again, i could be wrong

#12 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:26 AM

And operating with sunglasses? Thats new to me, but again, i could be wrong

I operate with my sunglasses on pretty much every day exterior I do

#13 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:24 AM

never was a huge fan of putting pictures of yourself all over one's reel/website.

rb

#14 Kyle Fasanella

Kyle Fasanella

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 95 posts
  • NYC

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:06 PM

Thnaks for all the great pointers guys. Im still fixing everything up.

#15 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:00 PM

KyleFasanella.com

I'm still trying to figure out what "One of the first in the High Definition Experience" means? does that mean that you have been shooting HD since the mid '80's? That's when I started.

Looking at your site you have a "Small" case of over the topness you might want to tone it down

rebotnix Technologies

IDX

PLC Electronics Solutions

BOXX

SkyDreams

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery