8 replies to this topic

#1 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:55 AM

I found on the website of the American based ASPEN some interesting batteries (for me)

Particularly the NP-1 NiMHi version that is rated at 50 watts. That´s about twice the output from my PAG NiMHi batteries that I use now and I am happy with.

Can they really put so much power in the same package and the same chemistry?

Is there anybody who has experience with this brand and its products?

Rob van Gelder, Bangkok, Thailand

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 11:02 AM

They absolutely can squeeze the cells in there. Here's a fun little secret--Aspen was quietly purchased about a year and a half ago by Anton/Bauer. They are still run as separate companies, but sometimes when you call for info about Aspen you're speaking to someone at A/B's offices.

Switronix also offers a 50w NiMh for very low cost, and that company has a better reliability record than Aspen.

#3 Bill Powers

Bill Powers

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 40 posts
  • Ithaca, New York

Posted 24 March 2004 - 02:03 PM

Hi all,

I've been selling Aspen and IDX batteries, chargers, and AC adapters for several years. Great products from nice folks. We sell them, nobody complains, they work well, everybody makes some money, everybody's happy. No wonder Tiffen, JVC, and a slew of other manufacturers are OEMing their stuff. I had no idea about the Aspen/Anton Bauer connection but I'm not surprised. Smart companies buy good companies.

Bill

#4 Oliver Roetz

Oliver Roetz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:00 PM

Rob,
I know I am off topic...but since you seem to live in Bangkok, I thought you might have an idea where to go for a nice dinner... :rolleyes:

On our way to the Himalaya we'll have one overnight stay in the Sofitel Central Plaza, Bangkok next week.

Again, sorry for being off topic...

Regards, Oliver

#5 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 25 March 2004 - 04:26 AM

Dinner in Bangkok? almost everywhere, on every streetcorner, every building, shopping mall and street.

These people here live to eat!

#6 TJ Williams

TJ Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 28 March 2004 - 08:53 PM

I've used the Aspen batteries nimh 50 NP1s. Every one of them was dead within 18months. I've since used other mfg. NIMH which worked longer (more cycles). The Aspen chargers I've had two. One is now dead, they charged well except the pins in the pocket where the battery goes keep bending back and not making contact so I ofen had a dead hole. They even sent me some new pockets which worked just the same.
Guarantee?

#7 geoff shotz

geoff shotz

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 172 posts
  • los angeles, ca.

Posted 30 March 2004 - 02:52 AM

oliver- try my friend byron's japanese/ sushi restaurant on sukhumvhit rd at about soi 36 (just a block or so past the nike store, if i remember correctly). if you are at the sofitel i know, you'll be just down the street from there. he's an american kid who went to thailand as a tourist and has stayed the last 8 or 9 years there as a soap opera star. good guy. tell him geoff from california sent you. other than that, rob is right, there is no corner without good food on it. and don't let rob send you to any bars in patpong alone. lastly, we want pictures from bhutan when you get back.

geoff

#8 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:07 PM

Patpong? nah..., if you want girls, Soi Cowboy is much nicer.......

Anyway, give me a call if you´re there: 071132652

Rob van Gelder, Thailand, Bangkok

#9 RobVanGelder

RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 919 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:14 PM

I've used the Aspen batteries nimh 50 NP1s. Every one of them was dead within 18months. I've since used other mfg. ......

So that´s not really a recommendation. But how did you use them? Everyday on video shoots or a few days (3-6 times) a months for film-TV shoots.

I know that I can expects a life of about 300 to 500 charges, whereas NiCd can do 500+
But it´s the weight and the max.power they can deliver that´s important when shooting film.

PLC Electronics Solutions

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

BOXX

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

PLC - Bartech

SkyDreams

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus