6 replies to this topic

#1 Gordon Li-Ron

Gordon Li-Ron

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 57 posts
  • North Hollywood

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

I know this topic has been covered several times but I have a specific question. I was practicing last night and when i finished, I noticed some tension in the elbow of my arm. there is a substantial amount of rust at the connection point of both ends of the elbow. I have some ACF-50 coming tommorow afternoon but I have a real small easy one shot gig tomorrow and I'm wondering if WD40 would work ok as a bandaid.

Is it a problem to add ACF-50 after you have already added some lubrication or WD40.

thanks

#2 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:45 AM

I know this topic has been covered several times but I have a specific question. I was practicing last night and when i finished, I noticed some tension in the elbow of my arm. there is a substantial amount of rust at the connection point of both ends of the elbow. I have some ACF-50 coming tommorow afternoon but I have a real small easy one shot gig tomorrow and I'm wondering if WD40 would work ok as a bandaid.

Is it a problem to add ACF-50 after you have already added some lubrication or WD40.

thanks

WD40 is a Decreaser ( spelling ok here? ) Means is washes lubrication away. Not something you want i guess.

#3 Jason Torbitt

Jason Torbitt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Manchester, London UK

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:31 AM

Yes, WD-40 drives out moisture and i is a degreaser, as Job says. Works great around the house but 'just say no!' to using it on the arm. Plenty in the archives on this here, use ACF-50 or proper grease/oil.

#4 Gordon Li-Ron

Gordon Li-Ron

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 57 posts
  • North Hollywood

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:56 AM

OK my bad, I won't use WD40. I know a lot has been mentioned on lubrfication but my main concern now is would it be dumb to use some type of lubrication for a shot I have to do in the afternoon. Later on today I will be getting some ACF-50 (someone will be bringing it to me) Is it a problem to use ACF50 after I've already applied other lub earlier in the day. If so..should I remove the original oil/lub.used something else. SFX here has plenty of nice lubrication and i was just wondering if this is a stupid idea.

thanks

#5 Gordon Li-Ron

Gordon Li-Ron

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 57 posts
  • North Hollywood

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:59 PM

my shot was cancelled...maybe its sign that I should wait. I'll just wait for the acf-50 to show up. thanks again

#6 bobgilles

bobgilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

WD40 is basically the same thing, ACF has extra additives, but otherwise totally compatible with WD. So spray away!

#7 Gordon Li-Ron

Gordon Li-Ron

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 57 posts
  • North Hollywood

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:20 PM

Wow....ACF-50 is the best 20 bucks I've ever spent. Thanks for all the help Job, Jason, and bob.

Gordon

SkyDreams

Teradek

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

IDX

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications