#1 Marcin Brauer

Marcin Brauer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Warsaw, Poland

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:12 AM

Can any of you tell me how hard is to get a steadicam job in Boston area? Is the market full with ops or is there still a need for more?

There is a slight chance that I will be moving there for some time and I would like to know if it is reasonable for me to take my gear (EFP) with me or should I leave it at home?

Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1776 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:32 AM

It seems that Boston Steadicam ops eventually move on to New York or LA. It is a tricky market where you really need to know a lot of people, etc. Not too much Steadicam used either. Movies coming into town almost always bring in a New Yorker (or LA) leaving you to do the local stuff. Local stuff is a nut that will take you a long time to crack though. Please be cognizant of the rate structure too as the few people that do work there have spent years raising the bar. I recently had a friend, who is relatively new to Steadicam, begin working for an old client of mine for approximately half of what I charged. On the one hand I don't care because I'm swamped here in NYC, but it still pains me a bit.

Funny thing is that since moving to NYC ten years ago, I have done more "high end" jobs in Boston than when I lived there (part of that is my experience level now, but I'm convinced part of it is the New York address).

#3 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2208 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:12 AM

I've been gone from there nearly 10 years but I will second Alec's thoughts.

#4 Marcin Brauer

Marcin Brauer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Warsaw, Poland

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for the info. I think that I will leave my gear at home or sell it as I`m not quite sure for how long (if it will happen) will I be moving there. It is anything from 3 months to 6 years or more... And since I won`t be having any contacts in movie business it just wouldn`t work out for me :( Too bad.

Anyways, thanks for advice it will save me a lot of trouble/cost during moving proccess.

Wireless Video Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

Camera Motion Research

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

GPI Pro Systems

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC