#1 Daniel Abboud

Daniel Abboud

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 42 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:10 PM

Hey Folks!

Do any of you more experienced Steadicam Op's have any Opinions on a Masters Series Rig for a beginner? What about a IIIa? I also heard of a gentleman who added an NP1 holder on his Masters Sled. Is that necessary?

I'm looking to buy my first sled and am open to any sage words of advice please.

Thanks for ALL of your help!

#2 paul magee

paul magee

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 64 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:42 PM

Hey Daniel,

Have you taken a workshop yet? A Master Series rig is a decent rig to work with but the same can
be said for a number of other types of rigs new and old from C.P., PRO, Tiffen, Glidecam MKV and XCS.
The choice of sleds is highly personal and requres some serious thought as to the type of operator you
want to be and the market you want to serve. A good workshop will provide you with some
insight into some issues you might never have thought about while at the same time promote proper
Steadicam hygene and technique. Over a LIFETIME it's possible you'll invest a few hundred thousand in Steadicam gear, spending 2 to 3 thousand on a workshop now is the best possible investment you could make.

It's more than likely the NP1 battery attachment was an after market fix to allow this rig to power
24 volt cameras. The 12 to 24 volt converter that was available with the Master Series was not able
to power the start up of an Arri 435 and it could not do any hi speed work. The additional 14 volt battery
wired in series is a quick and efficient solution to this problem. Afton Grant posted a great tutorial on how to
wire up this modification and I believe you'll find it in the battery section of the forum.

Paul Magee
Philadelphia, PA

#3 Daniel Abboud

Daniel Abboud

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 42 posts
  • Toronto

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:46 PM

Thanks Alot for your response, Paul!

I was under the inpression that you needed your own rig to go into a Workshop. Guess I'm wrong eh? Does the Workshop supply a selection of rigs to test?

Hey Daniel,

Have you taken a workshop yet? A Master Series rig is a decent rig to work with but the same can
be said for a number of other types of rigs new and old from C.P., PRO, Tiffen, Glidecam MKV and XCS.
The choice of sleds is highly personal and requres some serious thought as to the type of operator you
want to be and the market you want to serve. A good workshop will provide you with some
insight into some issues you might never have thought about while at the same time promote proper
Steadicam hygene and technique. Over a LIFETIME it's possible you'll invest a few hundred thousand in Steadicam gear, spending 2 to 3 thousand on a workshop now is the best possible investment you could make.

It's more than likely the NP1 battery attachment was an after market fix to allow this rig to power
24 volt cameras. The 12 to 24 volt converter that was available with the Master Series was not able
to power the start up of an Arri 435 and it could not do any hi speed work. The additional 14 volt battery
wired in series is a quick and efficient solution to this problem. Afton Grant posted a great tutorial on how to
wire up this modification and I believe you'll find it in the battery section of the forum.

Paul Magee
Philadelphia, PA

#4 Lohengrin Zapiain

Lohengrin Zapiain

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:47 PM

No, you don't have to bring a rig to the workshops. You wiil be provided with a variety of rigs to practice with... and believe me.... you WILL have a lot of fun

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

IDX

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

Teradek

BOXX

Wireless Video Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies