6 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Fowler

Bryan Fowler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 370 posts
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:08 PM

Ok, so we had a shoot planned for some running, and then some more running, and topped off with some running. I?d much rather ride than run.

My friends and I looked at David Groves, and all the others we could find, and thought we'd build our own. My welder buddy, we'll call him David2, was going to help make one out of good old fashioned steel. But His father and grandmother were in a bad car wreck, (his grandmother died, and dad is in ICU), so another friend helped me with this one.

It's made out of plywood, gas pipe Northern tool wheels, and a summit racing seat. Most hardware was purchased from ACE Hardware.

So, since we were in a hurry, and only had about an hour with a MIG machine, we welded the center post, and that's it. All the rest was wood, glue and screws.

It's heavy, the wheels are to far apart, and the seat is to low (the wheels are to high) and it needs a foot rest / don't-fall-forward thing. But it will get the job done. Also the pole it to high, and the socket block needs to be pulled down a tad to be comfortable.

Total spent, minus the socket block and aluminium mounting bracket (I had it from a previous vehicle mount)
$215

Time spent: 5hrs

I have three more photos here

One
Two
Three

Just thought peole might be interested.

Now I'm off to whip it with a chain.

Bryan
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 David Allen Grove

David Allen Grove

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 891 posts
  • Los Angeles, California,

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:50 AM

nice!

FYI: I've done shots off my rickshaw with my feet on the seat and my rear resting on a furni pad that rests on the top part of the seat. So having a taller pole is actually a good thing. I wouldn't change that unless you plan to go into a low tunnel. ;)

I would make the pole removable though, just for transporting.

Also, it's probably not so bad that it's a little heavy (solid) so it doesn't tip over.

You could always add a spaceer between the base and the seat to get more height too.

Nice job overall though. I'll have to add these to the rickshaw website! :-)

#3 Bryan Fowler

Bryan Fowler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 370 posts
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:33 PM

Nice job overall though. I'll have to add these to the rickshaw website! :-)

Thanks David,

If I had to rank the list of things to change, I would put narrower wheelbase top of the list. As it is now, It's not very easy to get down by the side of the "shaw." But maybe that's normal.
A pole pad might be nice too I guess.

My wife suggested a puppet head at the top of the pole. =)

I do feel stable in it. It might be because of the low CG, or the wheelbase, or the weight, or all of the above.

here is a link to a page about it. Clicky Click

Now if I can just find a job that needs it. =)
Bryan

#4 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:03 PM

you should chrome it like a stripper pole! Maybe lease it out for parties for some extra $$?

#5 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:55 PM

I can see the website and the commercials now....."Girls Gone Rickshaw!"

#6 Imran Naqvi

Imran Naqvi

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 221 posts
  • London. UK

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:13 PM

Ok, so we had a shoot planned for some running, and then some more running, and topped off with some running. I?d much rather ride than run.

My friends and I looked at David Groves, and all the others we could find, and thought we'd build our own. My welder buddy, we'll call him David2, was going to help make one out of good old fashioned steel. But His father and grandmother were in a bad car wreck, (his grandmother died, and dad is in ICU), so another friend helped me with this one.

It's made out of plywood, gas pipe Northern tool wheels, and a summit racing seat. Most hardware was purchased from ACE Hardware.

So, since we were in a hurry, and only had about an hour with a MIG machine, we welded the center post, and that's it. All the rest was wood, glue and screws.

It's heavy, the wheels are to far apart, and the seat is to low (the wheels are to high) and it needs a foot rest / don't-fall-forward thing. But it will get the job done. Also the pole it to high, and the socket block needs to be pulled down a tad to be comfortable.

Total spent, minus the socket block and aluminium mounting bracket (I had it from a previous vehicle mount)
$215

Time spent: 5hrs

I have three more photos here

One
Two
Three

Just thought peole might be interested.

Now I'm off to whip it with a chain.

Bryan

Nice one!

I'll take it!

By the way I'd like a red Leather Reccaro seat on mine (I just like red leather)

#7 Jamie Hammond

Jamie Hammond

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 91 posts
  • Bedford Uk

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:34 AM

I can smell a new topic...

Yo MTV...Pimp my Rickshaw!!!!!

BTW. Rickshaw look mighty fine.

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems