• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 David Hoffman

David Hoffman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:28 AM

Are you familiar with video stabilization softwares? Check out Steadymove - I'm quite impressed by the results. You can see a few examples here (in particular, check out "Mirage Boulevard"). Would love to hear your opinion.

P.S.: No, this is not an ad. Just something I found. Wasn't aware of such a software, but I'm sure there are more out there.

#2 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

I might be new to steadicam, but I'm Autodesk (Discreet) certified with Inferno and Smoke, two very high end editing/compositing systems. I can tell you, there's NO replacement for a steady camera... No software can make up for more than a tiny little bit of camera shake... In fact, with the ultra-sharp clarity of high definition and above, it's become even harder to eliminate unwanted camera movement in post production... The end result is a very blurry, but more stable image... Unuseable to me as an editor. If you look at the clips you mentioned, you'll see what i mean in a couple of spots... And that's internet video. Imagine it on a $20,000 2K broadcast monitor. Much as I wished so many times that software camera stabilization worked well, there's no substitute for a good camera operator, no matter what apparatus they use... And this is with the best software/hardware equipment on the market. It was a little easier with DV and film conversion, as the image is a little softer, and hides the blur caused by the software process... So these days, a stable camera is even more important... Just my 2 cents...

#3 Bryan Fowler

Bryan Fowler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 370 posts
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:36 PM

I've seen steadymove used in a couple of super 16 student films done from a local film school. I knew what clips there would be in advance. The steadymove clips were much much better than the shakey camerawork that was origonaly shot. And didn't seem to be distracting. I would imagine 20% of the people watching knew the difference.

Projected on a 2K Christie projector.

But yes, it still isn't a replacement for good camerawork. It did however save them thousands to have to return to the location to get some key footage.

*shrugs* and for $100.. not bad.

I'm keeping my rig though. =)

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Camera Motion Research

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications