• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Petropoulos

Tom Petropoulos

• Sustaining Members
  • 27 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:50 AM

What is the standard protocol Op's use if they want to use some of the footage they shot on there demo reel?
I want to use some of the footage on both my demo reel DVD and website.
Can the production company come back and tell me to take it off my site or not to use it?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom

#2 Erwin Landau

Erwin Landau

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1699 posts
  • TBD

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

It should be discussed before hand with the Producer, but it's common practice that when you get footage from the show you worked on, it will be used to show of your past work to potential new employers. In form of a reel on DVD or lately the internet.

The moment the producer wants to see/asks for a reel, he is aware where the footage is coming from. Everybody knows, so there is no secret.

If they don't want you to show parts of there show, they will refuse to give you footage, it's that simple.

Depending on the size of production and caliber show you are on, they can and will delay your reel material to prevent leaks of footage and spoiler. But usually as the operator, you will be supplied automatically with current dailies on a day to day bases, but again discuss with the producer before you put last weeks work on your website and leak the conclusion of Spiderman 3 to the world.

Use common sense.

Good Luck,

Erwin

#3 Brant S. Fagan SOC

Brant S. Fagan SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 407 posts
  • Charlestown, New Hampshire, USA

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:07 AM

Gents--

Operators should always READ all the materials in the start paperwork they receive at the start of a project.

Most producers will tell you straight out that any and all materials created on the job are THEIR property in perpetuity and throughout the known universe.

That having been said, I have never heard of anyone chastised for showing a reel to get work.

However, with the speed and accessability of the internet, you should be careful about unauthorized and untimely use of copyrighten materials without permission. Remember, they have teams of lawyers ready and willing to seek blood at the drop of a hat.

It never hurts to ask. Unless it's your anniversary and you forgot!

Try including a clause in YOUR deal memo that provides for access to footage in a timely manner and available on a professional format/medium.

Good luck and good hunting!

Best,

Brant "Where's my dailies?" Fagan

#4 Afton Grant

Afton Grant

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • New York, Boston

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:01 PM

However, with the speed and accessability of the internet, you should be careful about unauthorized and untimely use of copyrighten materials without permission. Remember, they have teams of lawyers ready and willing to seek blood at the drop of a hat.

Right! And for God's sake, whatever you do, don't make an entire website filled with that stuff!!!

...oh wait...

Um, from now on, I'll be going under various assumed names.

Peace,
Tonafay Antgray

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

IDX

Wireless Video Systems

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems

Teradek

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers