#1 Brian W. Hall

Brian W. Hall

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 32 posts
  • Atlanta, Ga

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:25 AM

Hello all,

The producer I'm working with has asked for some Bar/Club steadicam POV broll to intercut with a reality show. I told him I'd be glad to give it a shot. Obviously my concerns are that...well... its a bar. Has anyone done this or have any sugesstions? My plan was to scout out the bars the night before to get a feel for crowds and what time would be best. I was thinking of having some plain clothed spotters to walk in front of me and form a path. Other than that I'm just winging it. Any ideas? I'm not completely crazy am I ?

#2 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:48 PM

I was asked to do something very similar recently... Even though I've just bought a full sized MK-V rig and am eager to show it off, I instead asked them if I could shoot the event with my Smooth Shooter and HDV camera. It was a casting party, a full event, the line to get in was like a block long... Inside, it took half an hour to get from one end to the other, and that was with security guards helping out. The venue has three levels, narrow staircases, a nightmare with all of those people. Rest with a full sized rig would have been an impossibility... The show is shot in HDCAM, but I've had success mixing formats such as that when you consider the lighting differences between the "real world" and a night club... In the end, it was simply fun, a novel idea... Rather than dealing with clotheslining drunk people, getting parts lifted, and a trip to the emergency room...

#3 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2208 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

I'd have a couple of guys walking alongside you who can fend off drunken souls who might otherwise lurch into you, generally run interference, get you phone numbers of desirable patrons etc. Wear your best assless chaps; always a winner.

Camera Motion Research

Ritter Battery

Boland Communications

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Omnishot Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Wireless Video Systems

GPI Pro Systems