• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Paul P.

Paul P.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:15 PM

I am trying to operate a Panisonic VaricamHD camera on a Glidecam V-20 system.
I'm running into a weight issue.
To get the correct balance I'm having to use a lot of weight, thus making the rig unusably heavy.
I'm only able to operate for minutes at a time before resting.
Is anyone else using this setup or operating a VaricamHD on some other system?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Paul

#2 Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Eric Fletcher S.O.C.

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2922 posts
  • LA, Ca

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:11 PM

To get the correct balance I'm having to use a lot of weight, thus making the rig unusably heavy.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Paul

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Unusably heavy, that's funny. On the pilot I'm doing my all up weight (Sled, arm, Vest) is 90lbs. Pretty much the entire pilot is steadicam and I am in it (No docking) for up to an hour at a time

#3 Erik Brul

Erik Brul

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 444 posts
  • Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Paul

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Unusably heavy, that's funny. On the pilot I'm doing my all up weight (Sled, arm, Vest) is 90lbs. Pretty much the entire pilot is steadicam and I am in it (No docking) for up to an hour at a time

Paul,
What is your current Gimbal placement on the post ? Seems like the Gimbal is way down and that can be the reason you need a lot of weight at the bottom of the sled.. ?!

Best, Erik

#4 Paul P.

Paul P.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:15 PM

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul,
What is your current Gimbal placement on the post ? Seems like the Gimbal is way down and that can be the reason you need a lot of weight at the bottom of the sled.. ?!

Best, Erik

Erik,
My gimbal is basically at the top of the sled post. What do you use on the bottom for weight? Is it just a battery and monitor?
Thanks,
Paul

P.S. - Thanks Fletcher for your "advice".

#5 Matt Mouraud

Matt Mouraud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

Paul, I've used a similar set up to yours (PDW530 with Zeiss zoom lens and mattebox), probably a little bit lighter when I was in Afghanistan. You should be able to balance the rig fairly easily by adding some dead weight underneath the sled, under the battery plate and keep a good gimbal position.
Now as far as weight is concerned, this is NOT a heavy setup. You should be able to keep it for a long time, be able to run easily with it. Maybe your posture is wrong and that will wear you out faster than anything else. Have you read Chris Fawcett's awesome article about posture ? Give it a try, but once again you cannot load the V16 enough as to make it a heavy rig. Try a Steadicam or a Pro with a BL4 35 mm camera on it and you will find out what a heavy rig is. :P
I didn't enjoy the V16 at all, it is very, very, very basic and you can only achieve so much with this kind of rig. See if you can get your hands on a V25 or something else.

#6 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:07 AM

I did a feature with a Glidecam V-20 and Varicam (same basic setup). I had my rig customized with an Anton Bauer plate at the base for power and counterweight and a 7" LCD for my monitor. Didn't have any problems. Unless you get that battery down at the base, though, you might because you'll need to add enough weight to counter the weight up top and that could exceed the limit of the arm.

I used to think a rig like this was heavy and would only lift it when necessary until Ron Baldwin let me try his rig with a 35mm camera on it. That was a wakeup call and his setup was considered fairly lightweight. After that the mental fog cleared and I could walk around with my setup without breaking a sweat. Conditioning has a lot to do with it as well.

Dan Coplan

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

BOXX

PLC - Bartech

IDX

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Varizoom Follow Focus

GPI Pro Systems

Paralinx LLC

Teradek

Engineered Cinema Solutions