#1 Bryan Fowler

Bryan Fowler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 370 posts
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:14 AM

I'm kinda in the market for a cart.

But I'm not sure what kind to get, and not sure what options I will appreciate later on.

This is what I have picked up from the FilmTools website.

I'm thinking of the Liberator Junior cart to start off with.

Adding a shelf and 30" nose extension in a couple of months.
Later, I'd like tubed wheels to replace the casters, but I'm not sure what the benefits are of the different options...

Here are my options. I was figuring the Backstage brand, $175 kit.

Next (again, after a few months) would be Mast and bumper for $275 or so.

I may have answered my questions by taking the time to write all of this out, but it's still hard to imagine what I might use, since I've never been around a steadicam cart.

Any advice?

#2 Ari Gertler

Ari Gertler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 113 posts
  • Santa Monica, California USA

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:48 PM

I found the greatest improvement to be the larger 8" wheel kit. I had been thinking about it for years and wish I got it on day one. I have always used a stand with wheels since I am able to get my stand much closer to area of action. I can think of numerous shoots that a full cart with my rig on it would simply get in the way of actors and the rest of the crew, let alone in the shot itself.

I have purchased or traded my carts from Camera AC's. Ask around, you may be able to get a great deal on a used cart from a crew member that you or someone else knows. You can then upgrade it the way you want.

Ari Gertler

#3 Bryan Fowler

Bryan Fowler

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 370 posts
  • Chattanooga, TN

Posted 23 March 2006 - 11:32 PM

I have purchased or traded my carts from Camera AC's. Ask around, you may be able to get a great deal on a used cart from a crew member that you or someone else knows. You can then upgrade it the way you want.

Ari Gertler

Thanks Ari

Yeah, I'd love to do that, but I don't meet many...or..any. My fulltime job keeps me editing, and most of my steadicam jobs are small enough that there is no AC. I'm always fishing for a good deal on something used, or dented.

Maybe if I offered a finders fee, I could solicit the help of other ops out there. =)

Bryan

GPI Pro Systems

PLC - Bartech

Engineered Cinema Solutions

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Omnishot Systems

Ritter Battery

The Moses Pole - Steadicam Monopod

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications