1 reply to this topic

#1 Michael Stumpf

Michael Stumpf

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 490 posts
  • U.S.

Posted 04 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

So the other day (about a month ago really) I got an email about the Steadicam-Ops website
requiring us to update our profiles.
While doing so, since I hadn't been to the site in quite some time
I was looking at all the new members and additions (in the California section).

I noticed something and was taken a back a bit by it.
There are quite a few people who are outright lying about their years "experience"
as Steadicam Operators. One or two list their "experience" as twice the years they
really have, others have stretched the truth by several years.

Not trying to be the "honesty" police here, but in this rather small community
of people (when considering most professions) and most of us knowing when we all got into Steadicam
(got our gear and got our first steadicam jobs), it's a bit baffling that some would blantantly lie about their
experience on a website such as that and (I guess) think that people wouldn't notice!

What's up with that?

#2 Gordon Li-Ron

Gordon Li-Ron

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 57 posts
  • North Hollywood

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:08 PM

I took the workshop last year in PA. There was a student there that had an SK2 and had some years practicing with it. After the workshop I noticed he had put his profile up and said he had like 16 years of experience but he was neglecting to mention that 16 years was his total years of experience in the biz. He put his rate at $1500 a day for an operator with an SK2.

This kind of thing irritates me too because I'm a newbie and I am struggling to earn what is fair for my level of experience. But at least I know that if someone out there has 3 years experience and is saying they have 15 years...it will be so obvious to everybody (especially the producers who are hiring you) that your reel does not meet the standards of the veterans of 10 years and up. Even worse, the producer might even think that you do have 15 years of experience but you suck for someone who has been flying for 15 years. It just sounds like a lose lose situation for most of the guys that are doing this. I'm sure a few have been able to pull it off.

Varizoom Follow Focus

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Camera Motion Research

PLC - Bartech