Anyone made the move from DOP to Producer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen Press

Stephen Press

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Wellington New Zealand

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:14 AM

22 years of shooting, it?s not what I do as much as whom I am. How I approach the world.
I have had an opportunity come up. A very good opportunity. It will mean no shooting for a year or so just producer stuff and well? I don?t know. I?ve produced small shows but never anything this big. Worst of all will be watching someone else shoot and trying not to be a back seat DOP.
I?ve got a lot of things I still wanted to achieve as a DOP. I just don?t think I can let this chance go. Anyone made the move from DOP to Producer? How did it go?

#2 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2208 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:29 AM

As long as you like the work itself, it's a great move. I've been producing more and more on a smaller scale than I'm used to shooting in, and I can't say that it's always my cup of tea but it has obvious benefits. You can always go back to shooting if you don't like it, right?

#3 thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1163 posts
  • UK

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:16 PM

it s a fickle game ours to say the least, are you confident you could get your clients back after a years break? Do you feel there s enough work as a producer out there in the longer longer term to sustain you once you have lost your shooting coups? especially these bigger jobs like the one you have been offered.

The benifits/understanding you would bring to producing would clearly be immense. I don t think I would have an issue with back seat dop ing (but I have a fraction of your experience), you would quickly and efficiently see if someone is crap. Would you be mean and hard nosed enough to produce though? This is something I am not sure of in myself.

I have a very good friend of mine, was one of the biggest promos dop that crossed over to directing and has been struggling for a few years now trying to get back his premium clients in a very fickle world. He does regret trying I think, but he s doing well again now.

It s a shame your producing stint is a whole year! not 3 months or 7 months but a year. You need to think about it, you ll definately be getting some very cavalier advice about "just go for it" , the nature of cameramen is they are very cavalier and tend to run their bussineses, relationships and advice as such (I know I tend to)! but potentially there is certainly more money to be made producing! There s also quite a few skint producers slogging there guts out, over here anyway.

Paralinx LLC

PLC - Bartech

Boland Communications

Omnishot Systems

Camera Motion Research

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies