• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 archiemuller

archiemuller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:02 AM

i'v been told i should post my topic in this section coz im not pro enough to hang in the general discussion.......

i'm got about £2500 to spend on a steady cam and a Sony FX1e HDV cam to go on it.

basically i was wonding which one is best or if theres a better one for the same price which i jst havent found yet?

possitive and negitive sides to them would be great if neone has got one of the above out there.

many thanks guys x

#2 Matt Burton

Matt Burton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • UK

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:15 AM

You should post your question over at the steadiforum
Most people here are only interested in high budget steadicams.
Kind regards
-matt

PS i see you already did lol

#3 thomas-english

thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1165 posts
  • UK

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:47 AM

glidecam

#4 archiemuller

archiemuller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:50 AM

glidecam

why do you say glidecam over the floatcam pro?

thanks for your reply

#5 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:31 AM

**ADDENDUM

I've rescinded this message, as I had made a mistake as to the correct name of the product. The product I was referring to is similarly named, but not the same thing, so many apologies...

#6 archiemuller

archiemuller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:12 AM

I own a Smooth Shooter, I've tinkered with the "Other" one you've mentioned, (Floatcam) I am not one to badmouth, but I must say, I am perplexed, to put it nicely... I spent 45 minutes in the store trying to figure out the advantages of the floatcam's odd design... Yes, you can buy an arm and vest, but I REALLY REALLY don't recommend it... Just really a terrible, horrible cheap axis or whatever you'd call it, (You'd call it a gimbal on a pro rig) awkward movement, my hand kept banging against parts it shouldn't... I am purchasing a professional rig within the next couple of weeks, but I will continue to use the Glidecam from time to time... It's fun and useful for small cameras in ways a big rig will not service me as well.. Namely, weight... Sure, it will not give me as smooth and professional of a shot, but I can trot around lots more real estate with it... Varizoom makes some mid range rigs that aren't at the Steadicam Flyer level, but they do top the Smooth Shooter in some ways, and they are priced between these two as well.

where did u test the floatcam pro?
are you sure its the same one? www.floatcam.pl (then click floatcam pro icon)

many thanks

#7 Sydney Seeber

Sydney Seeber

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 376 posts
  • Hermosa Beach

Posted 04 March 2006 - 01:09 PM

Whoops! I did in fact reference the wrong stabilizer... I have tested so many different ones, some of their names just kind of flow together... Check out Varizooms site... You'll see the Flowpod, which is what I was referencing... Sorry! I will say this, though.... Since around 2003, I have been looking at getting stabilizing systems, and consequently have tested and inspected about everything I could get my hands on... (Except your Floatcam!) From the Pro system (The owner of that one has invested $100,000 or so, he posts here on the site from time to time) To those intended for amateur use... ($500...)
The result is, as other folks have said before me, the more you spend, the better off you're likely to be. I have tested similar systems to the one you mention, and they just didn't give me what I wanted... This is not to say Varizoom makes bad products, I do in fact own a few Varizoom camera control accessories and feel they kick a$$, but even Varizoom sells a much better version of a stabilizer... For more money, of course. ($4500) I had bought a Glidecam Smooth Shooter when it first came out a year and a half or so ago, but I always knew that if I wanted a truly professional look, I was going to need to drop some serious cash.... The vest alone I just bought costs three times what I paid for the entire Glidecam system I currently own... Just the way it is, but I truly believe in the end it's worth it... If you cut corners, you may end up being disappointed, and wasting time and money... But, if $500 or so is all you've got, then pretty much any of the less expensive stabilizers will take out SOME of the inherent jerkiness caused by handheld camera movement... Hope that helps, sorry for the misleading info,

Paul S.

SkyDreams

Engineered Cinema Solutions

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

IDX

Varizoom Follow Focus

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

BOXX

Paralinx LLC