4 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn Adams

Shawn Adams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Jacksonville, OR

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

Just curious on the G70x arm.  I have a few arms including a ProVid arm..  What I'm wondering about the G70x is this..  Does it only have 1 spring and no pullies?  Or are there any bullies and cables going to another spring?  I guess. I'm mainly curious on what the "ride" adjustment is actually doing physically to the arm.  I know the lift moves the spring mounting spot up and down to tension the spring, but what is actually happening when the ride is adjusted?  PS.  I've never used a G70x arm so I have not been able to use them in person, but I'm interested in one and just want to know more first..  Thanks

#2 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 734 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:26 PM

From the Tiffen website:

The G-70x is the third release of Tiffen’s G-Series arms. The revolutionary, patented Geo spring geometry optimizes performance throughout its lifting range. It tames high/low arm travel with adjustable-length crankshafts that dynamically rock the spring termination as the arm is boomed up or down. Powered by coaxial titanium spring sets, the G-70x arm smoothly carries any load from 13 to 70 pounds (5.8 to 32 kg). The all new bearing performance enhancements on the G-70x arm makes even the slowest camera moves ultra smooth.

#3 Shawn Adams

Shawn Adams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Jacksonville, OR

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

From the Tiffen website:

The G-70x is the third release of Tiffen’s G-Series arms. The revolutionary, patented Geo spring geometry optimizes performance throughout its lifting range. It tames high/low arm travel with adjustable-length crankshafts that dynamically rock the spring termination as the arm is boomed up or down. Powered by coaxial titanium spring sets, the G-70x arm smoothly carries any load from 13 to 70 pounds (5.8 to 32 kg). The all new bearing performance enhancements on the G-70x arm makes even the slowest camera moves ultra smooth.

Thanks Jerry..  I'm sure it's an awesome arm and I hope to get one soon.  I was more interested in the physical mechanics of what the ride adjustment is doing inside the arm.  Is the knob moving a pulley to the secondary spring (Which appears to be inside the primary spring)..?

#4 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 734 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:12 AM

No, knob adjusts length of a crankshaft, which moves spring termination point as arm is boomed up and down. Smooths response and alters iso-elastic characteristics.

#5 Shawn Adams

Shawn Adams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Jacksonville, OR

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:59 PM

No, knob adjusts length of a crankshaft, which moves spring termination point as arm is boomed up and down. Smooths response and alters iso-elastic characteristics.

Cool.  Thank You!!

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

SkyDreams

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers