• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen Parsey

Stephen Parsey

• Sustaining Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:47 PM

Hi-ho, everyone.

Anyone know if there's anything particularly special about the official Tiffen 2nd Battery Plate for Zephyr besides the 12V/24V mode switch?

I have some spare parts lying around:

- AB plate with D-Tap

- Threaded cheeseplate

- D-Tap to 3-pin LEMO cable

And I was thinking if I simply attach an AB plate to the cheese plate to the bottom of the sled (where the second battery plate would also attach) and plug from D-Tap to 3-pin LEMO IN on the sled base to,swill that give me the equivalent of 24V mode or 12V mode?

#2 Scott Monk

Scott Monk

• Sustaining Members
  • 21 posts
  • Beaumont, TX, USA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

I use one. As you probably know, the Lemo pigtail on the 2nd plate plugs into the connector at the bottom of the sled so it can pair up with the standard battery holder.

The switch on the plate puts the two batteries in parallel or serial. If you get the pin-outs straight on the Lemo, and recreate the switch pole wiring, you could make your own with the parts you have.

#3 Chris Van Campen

Chris Van Campen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

I don't have the 2nd battery plate, but I'm guessing they build in a rectifier so the stronger AB doesn't try to charge the lesser AB - which will cause it to protectively lock itself out.

#4 Scott Monk

Scott Monk

• Sustaining Members
  • 21 posts
  • Beaumont, TX, USA

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

Actually, my plate didn't have the diode mod; I had to add it myself. But Chris is right - you'll have to add a rectifier diode to prevent back-charging.

I noticed I didn't have it when the charging LEDs would light up on one of my Red Bricks when I had one mounted with other batteries.

The info on DIY-ing the mod is somewhere here on the forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Zephyr, 24V, 2nd Battery, second battery

BOXX

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

SkyDreams

Boland Communications

rebotnix Technologies

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Ritter Battery