10 replies to this topic

#1 axel ebermann

axel ebermann

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 81 posts
  • New York City,

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:16 AM

I am supposed to do a 15-20 second 'walk and talk' with a prompter.

location is some hallways. 

I haven't done much prompter on the steadicam. production just told me their prompter guy

wants me to be tethered in. which I despise. I feel in the year 2017 there should be no more cables to my sled.

Anybody got some recommendation for Teleprompter operators in the NY  / CT area that have experience with steadicam and could jump on that ?

Leads / contacts would be much appreciated.

#2 John atkinson

John atkinson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 145 posts
  • Florida

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

Buy a std. Def. TX/RX from a drone company.  I use them with excellent results.  You will have to put power connector on the cable.

Ranger Video  $185

#3 axel ebermann

axel ebermann

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 81 posts
  • New York City,

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

Buy a std. Def. TX/RX from a drone company.  I use them with excellent results.  You will have to put power connector on the cable.

Ranger Video  $185

thanks. however I am not going to plan on buying anything. my vision would be to have a prompter guy who rolls in with everything he/she needs.

(a man can always dream)

#4 William Demeritt

William Demeritt

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1057 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

For working in live TV, I have a 7 inch and 10 inch IPS monitor that I can put on the camera just above the lens.Your prompter op will probably come with only the equipment to send you a CVBS signal with the prompter lines OR send an SD-SDI signal. 

I did a job with Kristen Bell a few months ago, and was told about wearing a prompter in advance, and would be a long walk and talk. I used a wireless HD transmitter/receiver (IDX CW-3) and wore the RX while handing the TX to the prompter op. On my rig, I also wore a Decimator 2 to convert the SD-SDI signal to CVBS, and sent that signal into my prompter. Boom, wireless teleprompter. I had to do a similar thing a few years ago for a special show for FOX. 

Prompter ops generally don't have the equipment to send HD-SDI signals, just SD-SDI and CVBS. The prompter folks I had on the FOX gig were very nice, but not very technically knowledgeable about the  signal coming from their system, and insisted they were sending an HD signal. After a couple frustrations, we got it working, but I basically had to get it running without their assistance, and you'll probably be in the same position.

If you're trying to make it wireless, you'll either need a standard def transmitter for CVBS signals (CanaTrans, Modulus, Boxx Meridian) or a digital transmitter that handles HD or SD over SDI (Teradek, IDX Camwaves, Boxx Meridian, etc). If you don't have a wireless system to rent to your production, they can grab one from the rental house specifically for prompter signal. 

#5 axel ebermann

axel ebermann

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 81 posts
  • New York City,

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

For working in live TV, I have a 7 inch and 10 inch IPS monitor that I can put on the camera just above the lens.Your prompter op will probably come with only the equipment to send you a CVBS signal with the prompter lines OR send an SD-SDI signal. 

I did a job with Kristen Bell a few months ago, and was told about wearing a prompter in advance, and would be a long walk and talk. I used a wireless HD transmitter/receiver (IDX CW-3) and wore the RX while handing the TX to the prompter op. On my rig, I also wore a Decimator 2 to convert the SD-SDI signal to CVBS, and sent that signal into my prompter. Boom, wireless teleprompter. I had to do a similar thing a few years ago for a special show for FOX. 

Prompter ops generally don't have the equipment to send HD-SDI signals, just SD-SDI and CVBS. The prompter folks I had on the FOX gig were very nice, but not very technically knowledgeable about the  signal coming from their system, and insisted they were sending an HD signal. After a couple frustrations, we got it working, but I basically had to get it running without their assistance, and you'll probably be in the same position.

If you're trying to make it wireless, you'll either need a standard def transmitter for CVBS signals (CanaTrans, Modulus, Boxx Meridian) or a digital transmitter that handles HD or SD over SDI (Teradek, IDX Camwaves, Boxx Meridian, etc). If you don't have a wireless system to rent to your production, they can grab one from the rental house specifically for prompter signal. 

thanks. I'll make sure to throw a Decimator into my case. 

#6 John atkinson

John atkinson

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 145 posts
  • Florida

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:17 PM

thanks. however I am not going to plan on buying anything. my vision would be to have a prompter guy who rolls in with everything he/she needs.

(a man can always dream)

I relied on the prompter person once and got a AC powered prompter monitor and a bundle of cables with a giant metal arm to mount it.

Now I provide the cheap and very effective solution, with a 2 mile range of SD video.  Prompter person gets the TX and I have the RX on a Cheap Pyle 9" monitor.

No complaints ever and paid for in a few rentals.

#7 Bryan Trieb SOC

Bryan Trieb SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 151 posts
  • Los Angeles / Toronto

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:24 PM

What Will said.  I've done the same.  

#8 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:25 PM

I use a Bolt for the last couple of years. Reciever ( wich weight zero to nothing ) on my sled, and the transmitter at the desk of the teleprompter guy. also a black magic converter to make there signal sdi. Also 1 9 inch lcd on top of my lens, And of course, its all being paid for.  works great

Attached Files

#9 christian zurwiehe

christian zurwiehe

• Sustaining Members
  • 3 posts
  • Germany

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

I´m using a iPad mini with a selfmade mount and a teradek cube. It works well. 

Sorry , the picture is not the best.

Attached Files

#10 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:15 AM

Every time i mount it under the lens, is "shows" the talent reading. Above the lens works 99% of the time better. I could be wrong, but it seems that reading above the lens shows less then under.

Isnt there any delay on that ipad?

#11 christian zurwiehe

christian zurwiehe

• Sustaining Members
  • 3 posts
  • Germany

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:52 AM

Every time i mount it under the lens, is "shows" the talent reading. Above the lens works 99% of the time better. I could be wrong, but it seems that reading above the lens shows less then under.

Isnt there any delay on that ipad?

Maybe u are right but in this case its the wish from the producer. So he is right.. so far. :) 

The delay isn't so much so it works fine with teradek cube. We never had any problems.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

Teradek

IDX

Ritter Battery

Omnishot Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

SkyDreams

PLC - Bartech

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

rebotnix Technologies