• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Navdeep Singh

Navdeep Singh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:25 AM

Hi need help with the swaying issue. I don't know if it's an issue or its just normal I am new to Steadicam and this is my first Steadicam. I tried sony alpha 7sii and also with 5d mark 3 and 4. After performing static and dynamic balance the sled is swaying slightly. I have also tried different drop time from 1 sec to 3 secs its the same for every change that I make. Its a brand new Steadicam. Also when I wear the vest and arm and perform a walk the swaying shows up. Let me know if I am doing something wrong or is it normal for a little sway.

#2 Navdeep Singh

Navdeep Singh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:34 AM

#3 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 728 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

While hanging off the balancing post, it should be still. So either there is wind blowing on the rig, or someone is moving the stand. It can't generate a force on its own.

When you are operating, you are moving, so you must learn how to prevent the swaying.

The issue occurs with all Steadicams. It's a consequence of how we balance the rigs - slightly bottom heavy - so the sled behaves like a pendulum.

#4 Navdeep Singh

Navdeep Singh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:14 PM

Thanks a lot Jerry.

#5 Michael Rathgeber der 2.

Michael Rathgeber der 2.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:41 PM

Hello Navdeep, the distance between upper gimbal and lower stage is to big, it should be between 1 to 3 inches. The more the cam is up there the more lever for swaying. So you need more weight up there or less down under. I'd recommend a threaded steel plate under the cam, so the weight distributes even for dynamic balance and nodal point of the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Steadicam, aero, 15, swaying, Steadicam aero 15, Swaying, Dslr

Camera Motion Research

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

GPI Pro Systems

Wireless Video Systems

Paralinx LLC

IDX

Ritter Battery

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions