What Camera for your Practice Cage?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Westover

Tim Westover

• Sustaining Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:52 PM

Hey all just wondering what you guys have been using for a Practice Cam to use on a weight cage. I've had a cheap camcorder for a year or so that I use with my weight cage but it's pretty terrible and has some weird stabilization compensation that makes the image go out of wack sometimes. Looking to get a better "cheap" camcorder or camera that has some zoom functionality to simulate different focal lengths. I have a small mirror less camera but I'd like something to keep permanently on the weight cage, It's also limited to the 2 primes I have so something with zoom would be great. Thanks. 

#2 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 672 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

A Used Sony 537 or D30 w a betacam SP back with a used Canon zoom lens from ebay will only cost about $300 complete. Get an upconverter to convert the image to SDI and your set with a real camera.

#3 Stuart Hutchinson

Stuart Hutchinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:12 AM

Yep, Sony 537 is what you need B)

#4 Keith Wood

Keith Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • From out of the clear blue of the Western sky

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:11 PM

There is no shortage of good Sony ENG digital camcorders, CHEAP.  Check Craigslist.  Since you're practicing with it, you can get the DSR300 and be happy.  I don't want to think about what these cost when they came out -- I've got a DSR300 on the market for $250 and a DSR500WS on the market for $500.  You can probably find a similar deal in your area, walk up, talk him down, and wonder why you ever used consumer cams. 

#5 James Baldanza SOC

James Baldanza SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:18 PM

I like using a DSLR "APS-C" in video mode because it helps you become familiar with the focal lengths that you would be shooting with if you were on a job with an Arriflex Alexa for example.

Varizoom Follow Focus

Ritter Battery

BOXX

PLC - Bartech

IDX

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

GPI Pro Systems

Boland Communications

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

Omnishot Systems