2 replies to this topic

#1 Julius Koivistoinen

Julius Koivistoinen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Helsinki

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:48 AM

I own Exovest with the new Steadicam Aero 30. My plan is to custom cut a foam padding for Pelican Air 1615 case fitting everything but the vest inside (attached photo), so that I have thought out. Now, the Exovest came in a cloth bag though which is great for short travels but when flying I wouldn't trust checking it in like that.

I was thinking about disassembling it for travels into two pieces (front and back) like vests usually do so that way it could be fitted into another mid-sized Peli case but I'm not sure if that's the best option. What solutions have you come up with for traveling with the Exovest?

Attached Files

#2 Lisa Sene

Lisa Sene

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:15 PM

Hi Julius,

I have flown with my Exovest twice recently, with two different cases. To clarify I have the full size Exo, not the Exolite. 

The first time I flew with the vest built normally inside the soft case, with that inside a Pelican Storm iM2975 case, without foam:

https://www.bhphotov...2,&A=details&Q=

Since I had the soft case as padding and also had clothes in the case, the vest was plenty protected. Personally I like the latches on the Storm cases because I find them easier to open with the button-release instead of just the latch. 

The second time I used an older, small case, a Pelican 1620, again with no foam:

https://www.bhphotov...2,&A=details&Q=

This time I flew one direction with the bottom section of the vest taken off, turned around, and put back on upside-down (trying to attach a picture but having trouble). That bought me a little more room in the case, but the vest is slightly less stable that way, so on the return trip I packed it in the normal configuration. "Normal configuration" for me is a small form factor to begin with since I have a short torso and small frame, so the vest was in the smallest form it could be in to fit in this case. 

Both ways (bottom upside-down and normal) were fine, and both cases worked great. If you're able to, find a local rental house that will let you test out a few different cases so you can find one that works for your needs before you purchase one. 

Happy flying!

Lisa

#3 raveen

raveen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:47 AM

These ways were definitely good and custom cut a foam padding for Pelican Air this also good for fitting.  

Teradek

Omnishot Systems

Camera Motion Research

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

Boland Communications

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech