2 replies to this topic

#1 Zac Gaetano

Zac Gaetano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:46 PM

Hey all.

So I've been a stedicam operator for around 4 years and have my own Flyer-LE that I was handed down from a old production house that no longer had a need for it. I recently picked up Cinemilleds Ronin Adapter which lets me mount my ronin to the vest and arm. I was at a camera rehearsal last night and took a pretty nasty fall and broke one of the chest clips (somehow nothing else was damaged)

But to my question.... I have a merlin vest that can fit the flyer-LE arm. Is it safe to run the flyer arm on the merlin vest?  My rig is around 20 pounds I know the weight limit listed for the merlin is 15 pounds - but I assume the weight is heavily dependent on the arm. It actually fits and I was walking around with it , but I'm nervous that it is going to snap and just fall straight to the ground.

Anyone have any insight on this ? 

Thanks !

--Zac

#2 Tom Wills

Tom Wills

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 370 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:31 PM

Hi Zac,

I remember early on in my operating career when I had a Merlin Arm and Vest, I asked Peter Abraham the same question. I believe he had in fact tried a similar thing, just to get the lightest vest possible. The plastic top portion of the Merlin vest is not rated for heavy loads, and can (and will) snap if overloaded. I believe some newer vests may have a metal top that is stronger, but I am not sure how that is rated weight-wise.

Best bet is to fix the chest clip. Even if it is quite broken, you can generally hold webbing quick release clips like that together with zip ties in a pinch, which should be enough to get you through until you can get a new clip with a lightweight rig like yours. Also look at local fabric stores for quick release clips - you may be able to find one that fits locally.

#3 Zac Gaetano

Zac Gaetano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:57 PM

I appreciate the fast response Tom, I Mcgyver'd the Flyer Vest with a S hook and a bunch of heavy load tye wraps. (I ordered a clip, but I HAVE to have the vest in working order on saturday)

Think this setup will hold ? seems a lot sturdier then the actual clip is

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Flyer-LE, Merlin

Omnishot Systems

Camera Motion Research

GPI Pro Systems

Teradek

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

IDX

PLC - Bartech

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC