• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brenton Lee

Brenton Lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:38 AM

So I'm doing a workshop in April next year and being that I haven't operated a steadicam before, I feel like I'll probably be the class handbrake and was wondering if there's anything I can do so I know as much as possible before the workshop starts?

Any particularly good things to check out, habits to form, books or films to study? Any advice from people who did one and wish they'd have known something before they'd done it etc?

I'm already 30, have done a bit of camera operation on student and short films but feel like I'm a bit behind everyone else in this day and age so I like to prep as much as I can ... 

Thanks!

#2 Thomas Blount

Thomas Blount

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • UK

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:48 AM

Hi Brenton,

One book I can highly recommend (it's more like a Bible than a book) is the Steadicam Operators Handbook.  Was a source of so much information when I was starting out.

Enjoy!

#3 Scott Monk

Scott Monk

• Sustaining Members
  • 9 posts
  • Beaumont, TX, USA

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:00 AM

Brenton,

It won't be as meaningful without a Steadicam rig to try out, but the Steadicam EFP training video will give you a good look at what to expect from flying a Steadicam. Also, there are useful, time-tested training exercises and pointers that I keep going back to again and again.

http://www.tiffen.co...am_efp_dvd.html

And, available elsewhere.

Welcome, and Good Luck!

Regards,

Scott

#4 brett.mayfield

brett.mayfield

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 224 posts
  • hotlanta | lost angeles

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:28 AM

Watch some of the videos that Chris Fawcett has posted. He breaks down some concepts in a technical yet simple manner. He often instructs at the workshops.

the majority of attendees have never used steadicam before, so dont worry.

youre taking a good step towards your steadi future!

brett.

#5 Brenton Lee

Brenton Lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:45 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback and resources guys! Can't wait to get stuck in to it.

#6 SimonChamp

SimonChamp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:33 PM

I went through the same thoughts before going to my steadicam class as i hadn't done ANYthing with a steadicam before.

Honestly the classes are extremely useful if you are thinking about getting in to it as you can try the big rigs out and get a feel for them. Don't worry about the nerves they will disappear within minutes. go enjoy it!

#7 Robert Medina

Robert Medina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:35 PM

Hey Brenton are you located in L.A.? Maybe you can come hang out on set with me I'll let you put the rig on so you can get a feel for it. The book and the videos that were mentioned are excellent place to start. 

Robert

#8 Brenton Lee

Brenton Lee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:05 AM

Hey Brenton are you located in L.A.? Maybe you can come hang out on set with me I'll let you put the rig on so you can get a feel for it. The book and the videos that were mentioned are excellent place to start. 

Robert

Hey man! I'd love the chance to check out how it's done. I live in Australia but fiancée lives in Portland, OR so I'm literally transiting through LA 20 times a year. I can easily put aside a day to come check it out, I'll send you a PM, thanks!

#9 Craig Schumacher

Craig Schumacher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:23 PM

Robert

I hope Brenton doesn't mind me cutting in, but I'm new to LA and I'd really love the opportunity to come out with you. I've only ever flown a Pilot in my workshop and my own personal Flyer.

Thanks in advance, and my email is craig@otisprod.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems

Teradek

GPI Pro Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Omnishot Systems