14 replies to this topic

#1 John E Fry

John E Fry

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 85 posts
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire UK

Posted 03 October 2016 - 05:24 PM

Looks like we have two new Steadicam models on offer now from Tiffen: the Aero 15 & Aero 30.

The Aero 15 comes with a 'lightweight' arm & vest, and the 30 appears to come with a Zephyr arm & vest. Not sure what the sled differences are yet but will get in touch with Robin at Tiffen UK & see if I can take a closer look.

Anyone had a play with an Aero yet? First impressions?

bddffecd1be98f6da60984c3f3c6a4d8.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Francisco Orozco Jr

Francisco Orozco Jr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Arizona

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:22 AM

Looks like what was once going to be called the "pilot 2." Sled appears to be the same and probably only limited by the vest/arm combo you go with.

Edited by Francisco Orozco Jr, 10 October 2016 - 12:22 AM.

#3 Per-Kristian Henriksen

Per-Kristian Henriksen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Oslo Area, Norway

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:01 AM

Just received my Zephyr which I think was one of the last batches, and it came with what I suppose is an Zephyr-arm as John said, but labeled as an A-30 arm, so I can at least confirm that.

#4 Levente Somogyi

Levente Somogyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Budapest, Hungary

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:09 AM

I don't get why they designed the top stage in this way, you can not increase pan inertia with the extra weights (only at the lower spar), although this was one of the best features on the Pilot. Still, the rig looks very impressive, if I didn't own a Pilot, I would probably buy an Aero. The built-in quick release system, the gimbal grip, the 1000 nits monitor and the better vest (even on the Solo, full metal) are huge improvements over the Pilot. The sled looks way more robust, and the system is priced very competitvely.

#5 Francisco Orozco Jr

Francisco Orozco Jr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Arizona

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

Just received my Zephyr which I think was one of the last batches, and it came with what I suppose is an Zephyr-arm as John said, but labeled as an A-30 arm, so I can at least confirm that.

I wonder if that means that the "A-30" can carry more than the suggested 30 lbs? It would be unfortunate for you to have a crippled zephyr as in previous posts it seemed that the zephyr sled with monitor and battery will not weigh 7 lbs and be able to balance a 23 lbs camera package.  Have you checked to see what the max your arm can carry is?

#6 Michael Desiderio

Michael Desiderio

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 95 posts
  • New York

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

I wonder if that means that the "A-30" can carry more than the suggested 30 lbs? It would be unfortunate for you to have a crippled zephyr as in previous posts it seemed that the zephyr sled with monitor and battery will not weigh 7 lbs and be able to balance a 23 lbs camera package.  Have you checked to see what the max your arm can carry is?

If the A-30 arm is the same or better than the Zephyr arm....then the Aero-30 is going to have a higher payload capability than a zephyr, which would be weird no?

#7 Per-Kristian Henriksen

Per-Kristian Henriksen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Oslo Area, Norway

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:15 PM

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked. And as far as I can tell it's the very same arm, with the same range, just with another name that goes with the new line. 

#8 Francisco Orozco Jr

Francisco Orozco Jr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Arizona

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:28 PM

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked. And as far as I can tell it's the very same arm, with the same range, just with another name that goes with the new line. 

Is it common for the Zephyr arm to lift 42lbs before sagging? If so then mine is in good shape.

#9 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1211 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

Is it common for the Zephyr arm to lift 42lbs before sagging? If so then mine is in good shape.

The rating of the Tiffen are often under their actual lift capacities, so I'm not surprised of that. Also the lift capacities from tiffen are camera payloads, so that's why the number might be small that the actual lift capacity.

#10 James Elias

James Elias

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:42 AM

I don't get why they designed the top stage in this way, you can not increase pan inertia with the extra weights (only at the lower spar), although this was one of the best features on the Pilot.

Huh?

The stage weights are there to make a lighter camera, heavier - more above gimbal mass.  If you want to adjust pan inertia, you can still do so on the lower sled as you could with the Pilot before it.

My guess would be the arms are the same, just with a different name.

James

#11 Frederic Borensztein

Frederic Borensztein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

Hello !

I've been really interested in this new Aero Steadicam lately. I had the possibility to try it today at the SATIS (exhibition in Paris France). Of course, I asked a lot of questions about it.

The Aero arm, vest and Gimbal are indeed the Zephyr one, with a different name on it. I was told the weight capability is also the same (so about 30lbs). Now I understand the Aero15/30 names.

The seller (who is the official Steadicam importer in France) told me that they replaced the Pilot and Zephyr by the Aero 15/30 only for marketing matters and to fight the brushless gimbal market. Which it them pretty hard under 20lbs capacity. That's also why the Aero30 is much cheaper than the Zephyr (5.500 vs 9.000+).

That's all I know I guess. If you have questions, feel free to ask. I'm still in contact with the guy, since I think about buying the rig.

Fred

#12 tiago silva

tiago silva

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:53 AM

the weights are there to help with light weight cameras. I've been fighting with light cameras and that solution seems perfect to me.

Witch is the price for European market?

#13 Frederic Borensztein

Frederic Borensztein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:54 PM

Around 5 500 € (taxes not included).

#14 Bo Smith

Bo Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:03 PM

Is the Zephyr discontinued? Is the Aero 30 the new Zephyr?

#15 Frederic Borensztein

Frederic Borensztein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:06 AM

Indeed, they stopped making Zephyr since 2014 I think (but still vending since they got a few left in stock).

And yes, I guess the Aero 30 is the "new Zephyr" : exact same vest/arm.

PLC - Bartech

Boland Communications

Omnishot Systems

VidOvation

Wireless Video Systems

Paralinx LLC

Teradek

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions

Camera Motion Research

IDX

Varizoom Follow Focus