#1 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:44 AM

Hi all,

For those how don't know this ( i didn't ) there is a new scam going on.

I was bidding on ebay. It was a vest and an 3a arm. I didn't win the item, cos somebody else overbid me at the last minute. Well, that can happen. After 2 day's i started to get emails "true" ebay, about the transaction. The seller did give me the change to get the item for the amount i had bid. This because the winning bidder did not pay for the item. The email was complete with ebay logo's and ebay email reply address. I checked the seller, and he was telling me that it was true ebay again, so very save. I still didn't trust it, so i checked the seller true the item page on ebay. I saw that he had made a positive feedback about the transaction. So the item was already sold and payd for. The REAL seller didn't know about this scam going on.

Here's the email from the scammer:
________________________________________________________________________________
________

Do not reply to this email .Contact the seller at this e-mail address :Darsellbidco@aol.com.

You expressed interest in an item titled -Cinema Products Steadicam III Arm and Vest- Item 7570134240- by bidding , however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder . In compliance with eBay policy , the seller of that item is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your bid price of US $******.
The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction . If you accept this offer,you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction , such as fraud protection . To purchase this item , don't reply to this mail , just contact the seller at: Darsellbidco@aol.com.

Thank you,

eBay, Inc
Do not reply to this email .Contact the seller at this e-mail address : Darsellbidco@aol.com.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That email was complete with all the ebay logo's etc etc
Please understand, the REAL seller had nothing to do with this.

Be warned.

Greetings Job Scholtze

#2 DavidWest

DavidWest

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 57 posts
  • californeeeu

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:25 PM

those have been going on for some time.....

the scammers are using web pages that look just like ebay pages....

another common scam is when sellers with ZERO feedback put expensive items, like steadicams, up for auction...

i think that if it is over 2000 dollars in the first 30 days with zero feedback ebay will cancel their auction automatically.... they then contact each of the bidders in a manner similar to how they contacted you ...

they explain how desperate they are to sell quickly and that if you want a REALLY GOOD deal, now is your chance....

remember the old quote, "you cant cheat an honest man".... that helps you from being scammed.....

Edited by DavidWest, 15 December 2005 - 12:25 PM.

#3 Matt Mouraud

Matt Mouraud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:49 PM

I have almost lost 5500? through a much smarter scam on ebay. I was bidding on a Sony BVW-D600. Very good feedback from the seller, I email him to get the cam hours. He replies almost instantly with the hours. Then he sends another email, offering to deal outside ebay. Why not, let's see what he's got to offer.
We agree on 5200? for the camera. Being such a large amount I tell him that I will only finalize the deal through either an escrow account or a in-hands delivery. Then he goes on saying that since he's an ebay powerseller I don't need to worry and we'll use his own escrow account, an Ebay escrow account, so it won't cost me anything. Why not. I received this email from Ebay certifying that the account is valid and that I can wire the money. I swear that email was as real as they come.
I call my bank, and while on hold, I decide to check his feedback and the stuff he's already sold.
Well, turned out this guy had sold hundreds of mugs with dogs and cats on it. :blink:
Ahem. Major emergency going on. Where's the panic button ?
I tell the bank to hold on the wire and decide to confront the guy by telling him that I will only go through this transaction if he flies the camera to Paris, at my expense. Never heard of him again. I emailed Ebay who never replied. Turns out he hacked this perfectly legit ebay user email account and then started to reply from another account that had an almost similar name.
Very, very smart, almost fell for it.
I think what bugs me the most is Ebay's attitude who never followed up on anything. I wrote a letter to a newspaper who investigated on the countless frauds, Ebay didn't comment nor denied. One must be very, very careful when buying through Ebay.

#4 Marc_Abernathy

Marc_Abernathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:38 PM

yeah this is called phising. and checking the feedback will certainly give you an idea of who the seller is and what they have sold. i get daily emails from paypal and ebay about loggin in and checking my account, etc.

i know these are scams because they are sent to an email address of mine thats not registered with ebay or paypal. seccondly, if you move your mouse over the hyperlink inthe message it will show the destination address. thats where you see if its a real email or not.

in one email i got from fleabay, i moved my mouse over the link and it was from homedecors.com!

#5 Hervé Colosio

Hervé Colosio

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 102 posts
  • France

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:28 PM

hi , thats me , not the scamer but the buyer of the arm and vest . sorry JobScholtze to have pass the final line before you .
i've been scamed , phished with ebay 3 or 4 times . to detect if the email comes from the real seller just use the username details of members and write directly to the email of the member .
this will help with hacked accounts .
for phishings just copy the link to forward of the *look real email* and copy it in a text editor , you are going to see the masked link .

i have not received the arm and vest yet but the seller looks clean as the arm i hope :rolleyes:

Edited by krashtest, 15 December 2005 - 04:28 PM.

#6 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:33 PM

hi , thats me , not the scamer but the buyer of the arm and vest . sorry JobScholtze to have pass the final line before you .
i've been scamed , phished with ebay 3 or 4 times . to detect if the email comes from the real seller just use the username details of members and write directly to the email of the member .
this will help with hacked accounts .
for phishings just copy the link to forward of the *look real email* and copy it in a text editor , you are going to see the masked link .

i have not received the arm and vest yet but the seller looks clean as the arm i hope :rolleyes:

LOL, it was you. I wish we did know that, saved you some cash :P . I did see his feedback to you so i did know for sure the arm was sold and paid for.

Good luck with it, your gonna need it. ( Just kidding )

Job

#7 Marc_Abernathy

Marc_Abernathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:36 PM

hey job,

waay OT (i apologize) but what happened to your avatar with the head bobbing puppet! that was a sweet avatar....

#8 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 December 2005 - 06:12 AM

hey job,

waay OT (i apologize) but what happened to your avatar with the head bobbing puppet! that was a sweet avatar....

Nah, was getting boring. Hows this one? :D
Posted Image

#9 Marc_Abernathy

Marc_Abernathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:10 PM

:lol:

#10 Matt Mouraud