3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Stumpf

Michael Stumpf

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 490 posts
  • U.S.

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

For those of us who've been around this game long before digital was even a thought in our minds, we didn't have Boxx Meridian's, Teradek Bolts, etc.  

We had Modulus 2000 and 3000's.

Back in 2008/2009 while on a show I realized "maybe I should buy a back up Modulus 3000"

So I did.  

Well, little did I know that shortly thereafter SAG was going to go on strike, and voila, producers decided OK, we'll shoot on this new technology called HD cameras and hire AFTRA actors....speeding up the transition from film to digital easily by 2-4 years.

There was talk of a Modulus 4000 that never really came out, partly because of the pretty sudden transition to HD, but well, lawyers and the FCC were all over them like flies on shit.

So I recently was looking through some of my, shall we say, previously state of the art stuff, and realized, I still have both of my Modulus 3000's.

One that was my workhorse for many years and as of 2011 when I last used it, still worked great (was upgraded a year or two prior too) and my basically brand new one that probably hadn't been used more than 8-10 days.

I was curious, I wonder who has the last Modulus 3000 ever made?

I know the one I have was bought near the very end of production.

It is serial number #9654

Wonder where that lies in the final production numbers??

If you have a Modulus 3000 with a serial number around mine or even higher, chime in.  It's funny to think, there are younger camera crew members, not to mention even directors and producers who won't even know what these are. :D

#2 Matias Mesa

Matias Mesa

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 114 posts
  • Argentina

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:51 AM

I had a 2000 with no luck, it worked really bad in Argentina so I ended up with a Coherent system that worked like a dream for many many years. It always amazed me that from one batch to the next, the units would work in a completely different way, mine was 3000% better  than one that a friend bought two years after mine. Just fun stuff from the past.

#3 TerryWest

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 73 posts
  • Redondo Beach

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:40 PM

There actually was a Modulus 4000. It was a total pile o'crap. Things got real slow on the Modulus sales when l, Wolf Seeberg and Able Cine Tech LA were notified by the FCC that we were in violation of the law. And we were to cease and desist or face fines of $10,000 to $100000 per infraction. I had to hire an attorney to talk to the FCC. But since their ability to fine me, far exceeded my ability to pay their fines...

#4 Rich Cottrell

Rich Cottrell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 168 posts
  • Erdenheim, PA

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:46 PM

Is there even any use left for the NTSC analog video transmitters now that we live in this digital and HD reality?

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

GPI Pro Systems

Camera Motion Research

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems