No replies to this topic

#1 Rich Cottrell

Rich Cottrell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 168 posts
  • Erdenheim, PA

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:55 AM

I am looking to start a conversation on Fixed Length Posts.  

A few years ago I got one used [for my XCS sled] and at the time i felt it was too long.  So I paid XCS to cut it down to apx 17.5 inches.

I fly the U1 but with a LCS monitor.  Until recently I would use one dionic [sometimes two]  on the rear of the sled, and a trim pac located under the sled.   For most wired broadcast cameras this served me well.  Sometimes i might use other batteries for wireless cameras, but when i was on a wired camera, the fixed post [and its new length] worked out well enough for me.

Recently I had a job and i was uncertain as to the weight of the broadcast camera so the night before the gig i went back to my sock telscoping post.  While swapping from the fix post to the telescoping post is easy enough, I never like to do that sort of stuff on site unless I have too.

now the advantage of the fixed post over the telescoping post is about a pound in weight.  that in not much weight, but if the gig has you in the rig for over three hours, EVERYTHING adds up.

so now I am wondering, what lengths work for other operators.  I think My fixed XCS post was 22inches before i had it cut down.  the weight change from 22inches to 17.5 was almost nothing; the biggest difference is in balance.  If I had the U2 it might be too short. but my first rig was an CP Model 2, so even 17.5 inches is longer then what I first learned on.

anyone else out there using fixed length posts?

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Camera Motion Research

PLC Electronics Solutions

rebotnix Technologies

GPI Pro Systems