• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris_Windows

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:06 PM

Hello all! 

So I have been on a couple of steadicam courses and up until now have been the owner of a Ronin and an M15, but finally investing in my first Steadicam. 

I have had experience using the Steadicam Zephyr and have a budget of around £10,000. I won't be putting any more weight on than about 23lb (weight of the Zephyr), but could I get something better for my money second hand? 

Yes I am based in the UK, so prices are in GBP.

Thanks in advance! Chris

#2 brett.mayfield

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 217 posts
  • hotlanta | lost angeles

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

Hey Chris

This question comes up all the time, so scour the archives. Start with some of the posts in this section of the forum. This process should take time and research, so do your due diligence and acclimate yourself to the forum. There is some very sage advice here.

Im a big believer in used, so if you are interested in taking some time to build a rig piece by piece, have at it. You will learn a lot. That being said, for the lighter weight range you may not be able to build up so much, maybe purchasing off the shelf or a used Tiffen will work well. Hard to say what is "better"

Remember that you should budget for follow focus, wireless, etc. but you can rent those and then purchase over time, or maybe you already have with your other gimbal systems.

There are Tiffen dealers in the UK

Optical Support is the group that I hear about often

#3 MeganJobson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

Hello Everyone!

I hope you can lend a helping hand. I am thinking of buying my husband a DSLR Camera Stabilizer. He is a newbie cam guy. He will use it to shoot local events and weddings. I came across this Top 9 Best Camera Stabilizer. https://www.top9rated.com/best-dslr-camera-steadicams-in-2016/. I am thinking of buying the s40. Wondering if this is a good buy. Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks!

#4 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:53 AM

The one you like is fine, don't know much exactly about it but for an experiment?

Screw a simple monopod into your camera grab it where it makes sense, a few inches down and your camera will be about as stable as any small rig like yours and for a few dollars.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: steadicam, first, rig, zephyr, newbie

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

GPI Pro Systems

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

Camera Motion Research

Boland Communications

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC - Bartech