#1 Stephen Press

Stephen Press

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Wellington New Zealand

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:39 PM

So my kid?s school was putting on a Wearable Arts show. I knew very little about it as only the senior school was involved not my kids who are in the junior school. But on the day I get a call to bring my daughters along because they are in the opening act. No worries. As I arrive the principle says the guy they had arranged to shoot the show was not going to make it.
I had just finished a 2 day shoot for an arts program so all my kit in the car, even a DVCam back for the Sony D35. I said ok. Then I said how long is it? He said 40 min. So I thought what the hell I?ll give the kids a thrill and shoot it on the rig.
It was a good show, I got unlimited access and I got to fly the rig all over, lots of funky angles, goose necks, spins etc. and was having a good time? alright I was showing off, but the 40 min stretched out to 2 full on hours and I had already been flying the rig all day and now I hadn?t been pacing myself. I was bathed in sweat and dying but in front of my kids and their friends I couldn?t stop. Pride is a terrible thing. If I had been working on a real production I would have called it, but I just kept going. I can?t believe what an idiot I was. By the time we finished I thought I had ruined my lower back and for what? A Kids Show?
Fortunately a hot bath and a weekend to recover and physically I got away with it? this time.
But just a reminder for me we are only human. You can only push it so far.

PLC Electronics Solutions

Camera Motion Research

Paralinx LLC

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Varizoom Follow Focus

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

PLC - Bartech

GPI Pro Systems

Ritter Battery