1 reply to this topic

#1 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 501 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:36 AM

I'm getting into a rig for the first time (I have a Glidecam V20 but I don't think that counts...). Considering the cost of these things and the fact that I'm new to the game, I've decided to put together a rig from various components in order to customize a rig best for me. I'll buy new if there's a compelling reason to do so, but am hoping to put together a great system from used and save money.

What should I look for in a vest? Are there ones I should definitely stay away from? Ones I should seriously consider? What are the new vs. used issues? Can I combine a vest and arm from two different manufacturers?

Dan Coplan

#2 Alec Jarnagin SOC

Alec Jarnagin SOC

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1776 posts
  • New York City, USA

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:42 AM

Rigidity, fit, & comfort. For front mounted vests look at the PRO (GPI) and Tiffen's latest version of the Ultra. I'm such a huge fan of Walter Klassen's back mounted though that I'm almost speechless when it comes to it. After a long day, I still marvel at the thing. Lots has been written about it - do a search. Remember, in the end, the vest is perhaps the most personal choice of all. Good luck.

Omnishot Systems

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech

Ritter Battery

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Varizoom Follow Focus

Boland Communications

Camera Motion Research

Wireless Video Systems