1 reply to this topic

#1 Wolfgang Wagner

Wolfgang Wagner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

Hi Steadicam colleagues,

Í often read this forum and it has greatly helped me a lot. Firstly, I would like to acknowledge your help and thank you all for that.

I started out with my Steadicam (max 7kg) just over a year ago and it is going quite well. It is not my full time job but I have managed to build up some good contacts and go out with the steadi a few evenings a month. I have managed to gain a regular slot with a live tv channel and am involved in various projects too. I am therefore slowly reaching a crossroads where I will have to decide whether to in a greater system (3.000 € to 40.000 €). I have also been asked on a few occasions about some work which I had to decline because of the inadequacy of my current equipment, yet I do not know if I did upgrade my equipment how much work or how many jobs I would find.

How do you know when to roll the dice and upgrade to better equipment?

Should I try and cement some definite contracts before investing or is passion alone enough to support this huge decision?

Have any of you been in this position and could maybe share your story or thoughts?

I would really appreciate any advice anyone could offer me.

With many thanks.

#2 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

I know "roll the dice" is just an expression but this needs a business plan.

How much more can you charge for those higher jobs?
Now you make $500 and you can charge $900. For the other jobs?

How many days a year conservatively can u get, two days a month?
Sure maybe you'll get more but at a minimum how many?

What's your break even expense? I absolutely have to have x days a month to break even. Is that 2 days or 10?

Don't buy it all at once because you don't know what you'll really need. Get a vest, arm, and sled and get going then leave room in your monthly budget to buy new stuff AFTER you prove that you need it.

Contracts for a commitment are hard to get but you can tell them 'I'm planning on upgrading. . . ' and get them planning too.

Lastly when you jump off the clif and buy you suddenly get highly motivated and that is good too.

Good luck and I'm sure others have ideas too, love to hear them.

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

Camera Motion Research

Ritter Battery

Varizoom Follow Focus

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Wireless Video Systems

GPI Pro Systems