13 replies to this topic

#1 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

Two stations on my tm4 just mysteriously stopped working (red lights for these two stations stay on, no blinking) -- before I dig deep and/or call AB I was wondering if anyone else has this issue?

#2 maxfischer

maxfischer

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

My opinion, AB chargers are horrible. I've had so many fail, including the newer models like the TM-4.  Vitec's service isn't any better; the last one I had serviced took three months and cost more than a used replacement on Ebay.  At this point, they're throw-aways for me when they break.  Maybe Ritter can repair them?

#3 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:44 PM

I'm having a bad tome with Vitec's AB service. I have a 2722 that makes a hissing noise when a battery is on the right position. Send the charger with proof of purchase. They refuse the receipt, I have to pay over $200, wait a month, receive it, it's still broken (but they upgraded the firmware chip, which I couldn't care less about). Thanks you for nothing Vitec and Anton Bauer. 

My next battery setup will not be with them, Switronix is looking like a good choice.

#4 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

Sorry to hear about other woes with AB products -- I know there new line of batteries are just freaking ridiculous and I will definitely be looking elsewhere when it comes time to change horses. For now I will contact Ritter and see what they say

#5 KoernerCamera

KoernerCamera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Pacific NW

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

It sounds like it's a problem with the board.  We have had this happen before and had to have the whole board replaced.  Ask for John in customer service when calling.

The PAG HC-PL94T batteries have been very popular lately as an AB alternative.  They are also stackable which AC's seem to love.

#6 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1669 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:14 PM

My alternative would be IDX, if only they would offer 3 stud mounting...

#7 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

I agree Jens -- the v-lock is anything but. Been crazy so will call AB on Monday and see what they say -- will also give Ritter a call and starte cycling some batts to them.

#8 Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Osvaldo Silvera SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 675 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:33 AM

John Ritter is the MAN!!!, and he lives like 20 minutes from the house!

#9 Andrew Payne

Andrew Payne

• Sustaining Members
  • 8 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:52 AM

Ritter Battery is just fantastic.  Can definitely help with this and fast.

#10 Jonathan Pfundstein

Jonathan Pfundstein

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:53 AM

Two stations on my tm4 just mysteriously stopped working (red lights for these two stations stay on, no blinking) -- before I dig deep and/or call AB I was wondering if anyone else has this issue?

I'm having the exact same problem with my Titan T2! Its a shame that it sounds like this problem is virtually un-repairable for the cost!

How can a company that specializes in such high end equipment fail so hard on service follow through?!  Ron have you contacted John Ritter to see if he could repair your charger before I bother with contacting him as well?

EDIT: Contacted John directly after reviewing his website repair options.

#11 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:07 PM

In my experience charge problems have usually been communications issues between the charger and battery caused by dirty or messed up pins on the charger. Try cleaning them with a pencil eraser and make sure the two spring loaded ones have full range of motion.

#12 Jonathan Pfundstein

Jonathan Pfundstein

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:09 PM

John from AB just contacted me and suggested the absolute most obvious thing that I can believe I didn't try first. 

Try switching the switch in the back from Camera to charge. Some how mine unknowingly got switched, bam problem solved!

#13 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

I had that happen once, took me forever to figure out why half my charger wasn't working.

#14 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1669 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

The TM-4 charger does not have that switch (Camera/Charger), just some of the older ones

Engineered Cinema Solutions

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

BOXX

Wireless Video Systems

Paralinx LLC

Varizoom Follow Focus

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

GPI Pro Systems

The Moses Pole - Steadicam Monopod