Photo

GH4 HDMI downconverter (Steadicam Pilot VL, SD monitor)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 T.O. Lawrence

T.O. Lawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:01 PM

Hi all!

First time post so my apologies in advance on any departures from proper decorum.

I am negotiating the purchase of a steadicam pilot vl with vest, arm, mounting stand, one battery, backpack, etc. for $1575 but have encountered a problem getting the monitor to accept the hdmi out signal from my GH4.

The Atmos H2S has been recommended to deal with this issue in other, older threads and I was wondering if this was still the case? Not having my hands on the rig, I assume I will also have to purchase a Sri --> rca cable as well as a short microhdmi to hdmi to connect camera --> atmos --> pilot. Finally, as this adapter is an additional $295 expendature, is the purchase of the rig still a value worth jumping on?

Thanks so much for the advice!

#2 T.O. Lawrence

T.O. Lawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:47 AM

Another attractive option would be a monitor recommendation which would require no additional conversions (plugs into the same 12v power cord) and a 6-8' HDMI-->HDMImini. If there are any reasonable options others have used under $300 I would love to hear them.

#3 Frank Born

Frank Born

• Sustaining Members
  • 29 posts
  • Germany

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

Hi T.O.,

there is a cheap solution that for most frame rates works okay and is powered by HDMI Out from the cam:

http://www.steadicam...ndpost&p=110563

Also some other solutions are mentioned in the thread.

Best, Frank

#4 T.O. Lawrence

T.O. Lawrence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

Frank - thanks! I saw that thread and it seemed, besides the $300 downconverters at least, there weren't many cost-effective solutions to getting the monitor running for an HDMI out line as per the GH4.

Although it sacrifices screen brightness, I may settle for purchasing a ~$250 HD monitor with HDMI in and 15v power, plug it into the sled's power and run a cable up the central pole.

Keeping in mind I don't have either unit on hand so "plugging it into the sled's power" might not be as simple as it sounds.

#5 Frank Born

Frank Born

• Sustaining Members
  • 29 posts
  • Germany

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:31 AM

Hi T.O.,
the converter I linked to is under 20$ - try a search for "hdmi2av mini". The sled's monitor is not THAT bad at all (okay, the colors are), but at least it's non-reflective and quite daylight viewable. Enough for framing. A really better and bright enough replacement starts beyond 1,000$ and you'll probably have to change the wiring. ;-)
Best, Frank

GPI Pro Systems

The Moses Pole - Steadicam Monopod

Varizoom Follow Focus

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Boland Communications

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

PLC Electronics Solutions