• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:00 PM

I'm not sure of the exact model #, but the camera is the HD camera that pre-dates the F900. I have a job with this camera tommorrow and the rental house is telling the guy checking the camera out that there isn't a downconverter for this camera. They apparently tried it with a downconverter (don't know which one) and the picture was very unstable and B&W. I'm wondering if anyone has a solution. Surely there's something that works! They said plugging into the G channel didn't work either. What the hell? I don't know what to tell this guy as I haven't flown this camera before or had this kind of problem before. Anyone have a solution?
Thanks.

#2 joe mcnally

joe mcnally

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:24 PM

Get a video tap camera and set it onto the viewfinder then take your feed from there.
Or get production or yourself to find an HD LCD, Ultrabright, Panasonic, Astro, to velco or attach to your rig.
Hope this helps and yes I no its easy for me to say. I think the tap option is most realistic
Joe

#3 bobgilles

bobgilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:07 PM

When I rent the HDW 750 from Videofax in SF, they throw in a very cool HD lcd that I use instead of my monitor. Find out if you can rent the HD lcd, most jib guys rent this too, I used the Ikegami HTLM-600D 6" HD Color LCD Monitor for Helicopter, Jib and Steadi on my last shoot. You get a nice bright image and don't have to burden yourself with down conversion, but you now have 3 cables running down the arm.

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. They ended up bringing the camera over to see if the green out would work and when it didn't the job went bye bye. They had very little money anyway and it was a fly to San Fran-work-fly back to LA day that I was suppossed to have, which would have been a pain in the ass, so I'm not that upset. I'll just know what to tell other people when they call and want that camera....."get a 900".

#5 thomas-english

thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1165 posts
  • UK

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:08 PM

A Japanese crew came to England with a 700 HD about 2 years ago. They said they had a downconverter, as it turned out it was a rackmounted 12v NTSC downconverter. I Gaffered it to the bottom of my rig and sent the component cable all the way down from the camera into the downconverter. It was a faff but it worked.

There definately are downconverters available for it but it s the oldest HD camera you can get.

#6 RobinThwaites

RobinThwaites

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Pinewood UK

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:24 AM

Hi Brad

If its a 700 it may be a 1125 60 camera and probably only has HD component out. It will work with the HD UltraBrite and also ERG Ventures monitor (I have tried one) not sure about Pana or Astro. Almost certainly not with the Miranda. Joe Mac's alternative is a good one - gaffer tape and a search for the right lens.

Robin Thwaites
OpTex

#7 thomas-english

thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1165 posts
  • UK

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:02 AM

This is a photo of the setup that worked. The Mk-V evolution is great for gaffering bits on.

I reckon if in an emergency this downconverter would be available from "procam" in Tokyo.

thomas

Attached Files

rebotnix Technologies

Wireless Video Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

PLC - Bartech

Paralinx LLC

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Boland Communications

IDX

SkyDreams