9 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Sheppard

Peter Sheppard

• Sustaining Members
  • 21 posts
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:00 PM

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone is using a Connex link by Amimon as a video link? Also, why the can drone guys can get a link that does 1000m in full HD with zero latency for just $1500 when it costs us 4 times that to get one that does 100m. 

http://connex.amimon...4screen (2).pdf

I know this unit is HDMI only and has dicky connectors but am I missing something as to why you can't just put an SDI converter on each end and a couple of Lemo plugs and have a huge range at a low price???

Please feel free to correct me if I've missed something. Im not a Link technician just a steadicam op.

Cheers,

Shep.

#2 Nils Valkenborgh

Nils Valkenborgh

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 89 posts
  • Belgium & Holland

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:24 PM

Hi Peter,

At IBC I had a quick talk with the guys from Amimon, mainly asking him if they'd ever make an HDSDI version of the Connex. They stated that they didn't want to compete with the bigger brands Teradek and Paralinx (for whom they supply the chipsets, makes you wonder,...). The Connex was made to accommodate drones, it also carries flight info (distance, height, battery info, ...) but it's not really ergonomical from a steadicam/camera point of view.

Cheap adjustments could be made, like you said, add a Lemo, put the transmitter in the same box with an HDSDI converter and presto.

If you're not into modding that much, I suggest taking a look at the Actionproducts Eclipse 500

http://www.innocinem...inno_eu_english

It's around the same price and has a pretty decent range, tests have showed it held up very well up to 700ft+

Good Luck

Nils

#3 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:08 PM

The Connex is meant to be handled very delicately. All of the connections are very weak. For example, the power input is a 4-pin plastic internal board-to-wire connector that uses 30AWG hookup wires. If you rehoused it, it would be workable.

#4 Tuomas Viitakoski

Tuomas Viitakoski

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 59 posts
  • Finland

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:22 AM

and it has a fan on it so it'll piss of the sound department so the new housing should have cooling elements as well so wouldn't need the fan.

#5 Rich Greb

Rich Greb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:29 PM

For those who don't need audio transmission and can work with the relatively noisy transmitter fan, CMR has release accessories for the Amimon Connex to provide antenna support, mounting, and power options. 

Now it is easy to take advantage of the robust transmission capability of the Connex on any camera rig at a surprisingly low total cost.

http://www.camotionllc.com/connex

Rich Greb

CMR

#6 Rich Greb

Rich Greb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:36 PM

Letting everyone know we're having a 3 day 25% off sale on our Connex Accessories Pack.  Only $229 from February 15 - February 17.

We are an authorized Amimon Connex dealer.

www.camotionllc.com/connex

Rich Greb

CMR

#7 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:32 PM

Rich, thoughts about the Connex Mini? Has it started shipping, have you evaluated yet? Wondering what other improvements may be in place other than size.

#8 Rich Greb

Rich Greb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

Charles, The mini is shipping, but not extra receivers yet, they are coming.

We certainly have evaluated it, and I think it is a great product.  As you noted it is much smaller, and it doesn't have a cooling fan on the transmitter.

Our prototype equivalent to the original Connex with our (smaller) antenna mount and including a 5 hr. battery is very compact and weighs about 1/2 lb. 

The original Connex will have its place where the best range and robustness in noisy environments is worth paying a little more for.

Rich Greb

#9 Dan Coplan

Dan Coplan

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 507 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:58 PM

Where does the Connex (mini or full version) line up with respect to other HDMI offerings out there? I'm looking for the right combo of effective and affordable. The Triton comes to mind and not really sure what the other options are. Unless I'm missing something, is the Alexa the only camera that only outputs SDI? So these HDMI units would cover pretty much everything else out there?

#10 Charles Papert

Charles Papert

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2224 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:05 PM

Well, a Decimator can handle the SDI to HDMI conversion and are easy to find used out there these days...

Paralinx LLC

BOXX

Wireless Video Systems

rebotnix Technologies

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Omnishot Systems

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

IDX

Ritter Battery

Varizoom Follow Focus

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS