#1 Imran Naqvi

Imran Naqvi

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 221 posts
  • London. UK

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:36 AM

Hi all,

Quick question, leaving aside getting power to both, can anyone let me know if a flyer can take a DSR570 with a wireless follow focus and wireless iris control.

We only need the iris because the shoot is supposed to be a nightclub scene and without the option of a ringlite iris pulls might be essential.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Imran

p.s. I know my EFP can take them, but this lot own a flyer and don't want to hire my rig. I'm trying to talk them round, but what can I say, they're cheap.

#2 joe mcnally

joe mcnally

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:32 PM

Hi Imran
depends which focus iris kit you are using
Genio I would say yes.
Whip the viewfinder off, I have another neat trick please phone me for information, its top secret.
Preston I would say its very close to limit.
Basically yes you should be fine as if they have the Flyer for you I would bet they do not own a Preston
Maybe they have a follow focus thats been made in Preston but thats a whole new topic.
Regards
Joe

#3 Matt Burton

Matt Burton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • UK

Posted 15 October 2005 - 07:40 PM

Quick question, leaving aside getting power to both,

Hi Imran
The flyer should come with a power supply to fit the dsr thus releaving the battery off camera (if not i have one and will be in london next week).
-matt

#4 Imran Naqvi

Imran Naqvi

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 221 posts
  • London. UK

Posted 16 October 2005 - 06:31 AM

Quick question, leaving aside getting power to both,

Hi Imran
The flyer should come with a power supply to fit the dsr thus releaving the battery off camera (if not i have one and will be in london next week).
-matt

It has the 2 pin hirose to 4 pin XLR lead to get power to the camera. But since that's the only power off the top-stage I need to split power off that hirose, or get a 4 pin hirose from the 12V out, off the camera, to whichever follow focus unit they manage to get.

#5 JobScholtze

JobScholtze

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:00 AM

or get a 4 pin hirose from the 12V out, off the camera, to whichever follow focus unit they manage to get.

Watch out with that, it easily blows out. Cant use to much power from it

#6 joe mcnally

joe mcnally

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:52 AM

Dont worrry about having a small battery on the camera Li ion if poss.
Power the ff from the Hirose or the Anton Bauer tap on the camera handle (50 Watts )
The camera Hirose is only good for 1 amp. It would be OK for the Genio but not sure about bigger motor drivers
The connection from the sled to the camera is a 2 pin Lemo, not Hirose, to 4 pin Canon XLR
If you pop around I can let you loan one of my modified cables that has a 4 pin hirose pigtailed off the 4 pin Canon.
Get reasonably big/heavy, PAG Nicad lock ons maybe, batteries for the sled.
Joe

#7 RobinThwaites

RobinThwaites

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Pinewood UK

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:25 AM

Hi Imran

If you can use PAG C-50 batteries or NiMH rather than lithiums it is more likely to balance. Main factor is likely to be the lens, if it is a Canon J11 be careful as they are quite heavy and can take you over the top.

As Joe says loose the viewfinder and set the on screen displays to come our of trhe monitoring out, if they are looking for an on board mic. consider re-mounting it lower on the sled (obviously better to loose it altogether).

If you make your own cables an XLR4Male to 2 x XLR4Female "Y" cable is a really handy "emergency" accessory for anyone. It would get power to the focus in this case and be handy for your EFP as well.

Robin Thwaites
OpTex

#8 Mikael Kern

Mikael Kern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:21 PM

............... I have another neat trick please phone me for information, its top secret.

It´s against the law to keep secrets, please tell us all.
:-)

#9 joe mcnally

joe mcnally

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:22 PM

Hi Mikael
If I tell you all then I'd have to kill you all and I havent got time :D.
OK then think about not using the Sony snap plate at all
Joe

#10 bobgilles

bobgilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 01:59 PM

Posted Image

#11 bobgilles

bobgilles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:19 PM

This is coolest Sony Dovetail I have seen yet.
Posted Image

#12 joe mcnally

joe mcnally

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:26 PM

Hi Bob
very close but still too complicated.
Got to agree about the Baer Bel Sony eliminator every home should have one.
We supply these in the UK if anyones interested. Note does not fit on the Flyer.
Joe

#13 John Steele

John Steele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 06:04 AM

Hi Joe,

I'm looking for a sony plate for my rig and I was wondering how the camera locks onto this plate and how much they are. I'm also in the uk.

John.

Hi Bob
very close but still too complicated.
Got to agree about the Baer Bel Sony eliminator every home should have one.
We supply these in the UK if anyones interested. Note does not fit on the Flyer.
Joe

#14 joe mcnally

joe mcnally

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:51 PM

Hi John
the camera slips into the V shoe at the front and there is a screw at the back that mates with the camera. You then tighten the screw from below and there you are rock solid no wobble and a 1kg saving in weight.
One little warning the Sony plate has a bar that goes across the v shoe so it the pin does not quite mate then the camera althoough very wobbly should not fall off its mount. With the Baer Bel plate you need to be sure the screw is mated properly not difficult at all.
If you let me have your address I will send you one over on approval.
You can use the plate as a normal flat dovetail plate too by simply removing the V piece.
You can also add 15mm and 19mm bars to the dovetail for motors and accessories these start at about £10-00
Any colour you like to match your rig.
What rig do you have ?
Price is £290-00 plus post and VAT. I think about £20-00 extra if you need a geared rack like 3a/ EFP.

BTW the secret with the Flyer is just to screw the Flyer Dovetail direct onto the bottom of the 570 camera be sure to use a good quality screw.

Call me if you like on 07973 226532

#15 John Steele

John Steele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Joe, I don't need the plate right away, I've got most of a Glidecam V25, I've got the arm and vest and am currently using my existing V16 sled while I wait for the new sled to be ready. I'll need the plate once the new sled arrives so I'll be in touch with you then. :)

Thanks again.

John.

Hi John
the camera slips into the V shoe at the front and there is a screw at the back that mates with the camera. You then tighten the screw from below and there you are rock solid no wobble and a 1kg saving in weight.
One little warning the Sony plate has a bar that goes across the v shoe so it the pin does not quite mate then the camera althoough very wobbly should not fall off its mount. With the Baer Bel plate you need to be sure the screw is mated properly not difficult at all.
If you let me have your address I will send you one over on approval.
You can use the plate as a normal flat dovetail plate too by simply removing the V piece.
You can also add 15mm and 19mm bars to the dovetail for motors and accessories these start at about £10-00
Any colour you like to match your rig.
What rig do you have ?
Price is £290-00 plus post and VAT. I think about £20-00 extra if you need a geared rack like 3a/ EFP.

BTW the secret with the Flyer is just to screw the Flyer Dovetail direct onto the bottom of the 570 camera be sure to use a good quality screw.

Call me if you like on 07973 226532

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Paralinx LLC

PLC - Bartech

IDX

rebotnix Technologies

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

SkyDreams

Ritter Battery