4 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Mouraud

Matt Mouraud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:12 AM

Well, I just got hired for a 4 weeks shooting in Afghanistan. We'll be shooting in Kabul for the most part, and while I've been to some pretty remote locations before, it was not as an operator. Any advice will be much, much appreciated and you can count on me to post some pictures along this really cool experience...

#2 RobVanGelder

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 915 posts
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:21 AM

cool experience? I hope it for you it is not dead-cold....

Check your insurances, they might not like the idea of you working there.
I know one time I was asked to go to Sarajevo, 2 months after the war there stopped, though there was still some occasional gun/sniper fire.
They made an insurance for me; my gear was covered for $50.000, my life for $15.000 .......
I had that fixed of course.
Had an incredible time there, in the real trenches, good and honest people and with de-mining teams all around.
It also got me some work after that.

Whould I do it again? not so sure anymore.... <_<

#3 chris fawcett

chris fawcett

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 985 posts
  • Europe

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:58 AM

Dear Matt,

I took a Hostile Environments Training Course with these guys a few years ago. It comes in very useful if you intend to work a lot in difficult countries. They teach you how best to respond to extreme situations, so when they happen, you don't have to try to work out what to do from first principles. It can lower your insurance premiums too.

For freelancers, there is funding available to take the course:

Contact me if you need any more details.

Good Luck!

#4 Kenny Brown SOC

Kenny Brown SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 47 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:24 PM

Hi there

I've often worked in Kabul and the only pain is insurance and transport. Make sure you're covered all around for medivac etc and your gear. Usually the companies I work for make an agreement to pay to any damages or loss that won't be covered by 'normal' insurance policies. Other factors are dust and climate. Depending of the season it gets hot, dry, windy which can cripple video gear over extended periods of time. I'd recon on getting a serivce or at least of dust and buff when you get back.

Great people, great place.

#5 Matt Mouraud

Matt Mouraud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:13 AM

Hi Kenny ! I'm leaving tomorrow for a month and really looking forward to it. The production has its own gear, mine stays here. Insured by the production, my own insurance also works for afghanistan. I will try and update this thread with some pictures !

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

PLC - Bartech

Boland Communications

Varizoom Follow Focus

Omnishot Systems

Paralinx LLC

PLC Electronics Solutions

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems

Camera Motion Research

GPI Pro Systems