• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thomas-english

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1163 posts
  • UK

Posted 30 September 2005 - 10:19 AM

I want to put focus teeth onto a dimmer knob. It s the dimmer knob on a gekko ringlight. Anyone ever succeeded in putting focus teeth onto such a thing.

I have ordered in a genio for the job with little lightweight mv26 motors. So I want to twist the little dimmer knob with the genio motors. In that kit I also have all the old chroizel gear adaptors... any ideas? blue tac !? double sided tape?

#2 Tom Wills

Tom Wills

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 367 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:42 PM

For everything I've done, J-B Weld works perfectly for holding just about anything to just about anything else. It might have a little bit of a problem sticking to really smooth plastic, so if either of those parts are shiny plastic, buff them down with a little high grit sandpaper.

It's available at basically any home improvement store. Heck, it held one of my old sled bases together, and it at the moment holds my spare gimbal parts together, so I'd say it'd definetly be good for this. Just don't expect to get it off without a hacksaw. :P

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:26 PM

If you're looking for a more permanent option, Focus Optics makes custom gear rings for lenses and rings of any diameter. He carves them out of Delrin and made me some for some converted still lenses. It depends on the size of the knob, but I'd uess he'd charge you maybe $50 for it.

#4 joe mcnally

joe mcnally

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 06:39 AM

Hi Thomas
if the pot is anything like the one on the Litepanels then maybe just use a thick rubber band.
We could stick some nylon/plastic washers to the outside of the pot and the m26 gear to hole help the rubber band stay in place.
Failing that maybe there is a simpler electronic solution ?
Break out the wires from the pot then solder in a thin extension at the other end re soder the pot on or an other pot of same ohms.
Yes it would mean a light wire to your rig but sounds a lot simpler to me.
Hope this helps

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 05:38 PM

In reference to the Litepanels, contact the manufacturer directly. Alec Jarnagin & I talked to a rep at an equipment convention and he mentioned that they could supply a geared knob for the dimmer since others had requested it as well.

Paralinx LLC

Camera Motion Research

Boland Communications

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Ritter Battery

Varizoom Follow Focus

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Wireless Video Systems

Omnishot Systems

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech