6 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Merryman

Thomas Merryman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Dallas-Ft. Worth Area

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:36 PM

My Pilot (AA) has served me well but I am looking to make swap over to a V-lock mount and as long as I am upgrading a little I wanted to get a monitor that will offer me more and RCA in. When I purchased my pilot it came with a HD/SDI fished up the post which the previous owner had put in. I am still a student and most of my work is small time with documentary as well as wirth a camp I work with in the summers, that being said most cameras I end up flying are of the prosumer variety and either have HD/SDI or HDMI outs. All that considered it would be great to get some opionions on what the best bang for buck is on the smaller end of monitors. I done neccessrliy need anything much bigger that the 5.8" that it came with so my big wants are input options, decent brightness for outdoors, and being able to power off the V-lock 12V. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1230 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 25 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

There was a very similar conversation recently: http://www.steadicam...showtopic=22094

#3 Thomas Merryman

Thomas Merryman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Dallas-Ft. Worth Area

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:14 PM

Thought I had done my due diligence before starting up another thread, apologies for that. Looks like the AC7 +SDI would be enough for me, I am assuming the prefernece is still towards LCD over OLED for outdoor work?

Edited by Thomas Merryman, 25 March 2015 - 10:14 PM.

#4 Alan Rencher

Alan Rencher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1091 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:50 AM

OLED monitors aren't bright enough for Steadicam use.

#5 Victor Lazaro

Victor Lazaro

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1230 posts
  • Sunnyside Queens, NY

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:08 AM

The AC7 is 400 nits, which is really low brightness for daylight viewing. 

Here is a list of the HD high bright monitors available (there may be more or prices might have changed, this list is a few months old) https://docs.google....JKN01XRGc#gid=0

#6 Thomas Merryman

Thomas Merryman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Dallas-Ft. Worth Area

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:38 PM

The AC7 is 400 nits, which is really low brightness for daylight viewing. 

Here is a list of the HD high bright monitors available (there may be more or prices might have changed, this list is a few months old) https://docs.google....JKN01XRGc#gid=0

Great resource, thank you for sharing.

#7 Mark Schlicher

Mark Schlicher

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nashville, TN

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:07 PM

The Marshall V-LCD651STX-3GSDI is a good choice for the Pilot, and keep in mind that, even though it's 650nits, it has a very good transflective coating that helps it do very well in comparison tests. It can be had for less than list price, as is true of the other Marshalls and probably some other brands.

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

PLC Electronics Solutions

Omnishot Systems

Varizoom Follow Focus

Boland Communications

Wireless Video Systems

IDX

Ritter Battery

Teradek

GPI Pro Systems

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS