4 replies to this topic

#1 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:34 PM

as Guy Bee, Dave Chameides, Charles Papert, Steve Clancy etc...have shown, there is life after (and during) steadicam.

Jeff Hunt had the opportunity to direct an episode of CSI (Vegas, the original). He has been A-cam/steadi since day 1 (knowing the typical tv schedule, his kids probably don't recognize him and the UPS guy keeps delivering "packages" to his house).

It's episode #3, season 6 (current season). His episode is titled "BITE ME" and will air 9pm Oct 6th. Watch and enjoy one of our own taking the reins of the #1 show for 42 minutes.

rb

#2 Steven Acton

Steven Acton

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 03:04 AM

as Guy Bee, Dave Chameides, Charles Papert, Steve Clancy etc...have shown, there is life after (and during) steadicam.

Jeff Hunt had the opportunity to direct an episode of CSI (Vegas, the original).  He has been A-cam/steadi since day 1 (knowing the typical tv schedule, his kids probably don't recognize him and the UPS guy keeps delivering "packages" to his house). 

It's episode #3, season 6 (current season).  His episode is titled "BITE ME" and will air 9pm Oct 6th.  Watch and enjoy one of our own taking the reins of the #1 show for 42 minutes.

rb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good for him i will keep a beady eye out for it when it reaches us here in the uk , i never knew the transition from a-cam to director was so easy , any word on how it came about

Steve

#3 Matt Mouraud

Matt Mouraud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 03:49 AM

This gives us hope ! Congrats ! We'll try to catch it here in France... Wonder how much steadicam will be on that particular episode ! :D

#4 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 September 2005 - 04:35 PM

I wouldn't say it's an easy transition, but sometimes it makes sense to put a lowly technician behind the wheel. We shoot this stuff day in and day out for years, and some of the knuckle-headed directors we get couldn't shoot their way out of a paper bag if the DP or operator weren't holding their hands. Sometimes it's a bargaining chip -- they want you back at the same crappy rate (of course they can't afford a penny more!), and you want to move on to bigger and better shows/features...unless you're thrown a bone.

I think Jeff's episode ended with only a little over-time (less than an hour, I think he said) -- think how much $$ that saves at nearly $400/minute. On my show, the last director had to drop a scene 6 out of the 8 days because he shot too much coverage. Any bone-head can shoot tons of coverage and put it all together later. It takes skill and prep to know what you want and to only shoot what you need to hold the audience's attention for the commercials (the real reason we're there).

RB

#5 Fred Davis

Fred Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:06 PM

It takes skill and prep to know what you want and to only shoot what you need to hold the audience's attention for the commercials (the real reason we're there).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Congratulations to Jeff!
:lol:

Paralinx LLC

Engineered Cinema Solutions

SkyDreams

BOXX

GPI Pro Systems

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Teradek

PLC - Bartech