• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Larsnip

Larsnip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:37 PM

I am looking for a cable that would work from our BFD to an Analog Heden Motor (4 pin) we are for our Microforce Units. Fred at Production Cables Services http://www.productio...leservices.com/
Does not know the Pin outs and seems to not think it can be done, Bartech also doesn?t know
Has anyone else had experience with this or can tell me where I can find this cable?

#2 JimBartell

JimBartell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 494 posts
  • Long Beach, CA, USA

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:43 PM

I am looking for a cable that would work from our BFD to an Analog Heden Motor (4 pin) we are for our Microforce Units. Fred at Production Cables Services http://www.productio...leservices.com/
Does not know the Pin outs and seems to not think it can be done, Bartech also doesn?t know
Has anyone else had experience with this or can tell me where I can find this cable?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And here I thought I'd explained it. Well, let me try again:

4-pin Heden motors are zoom motors. They have a tachometer built in to monitor the motor's speed, as zoom controllers like the Microforce are designed to control the motor speed, not its position. Focus control systems, like the BFD, Seitz, WRC-4, Microservo, Fox, etc. are designed to control position, so they need to know the motor's position. This is done with a potentiometer instead of a tachometer. On Heden motors the model number is followed by a P for focus motors with a potentiometer, a T for zoom motors with a tachometer, or a PT for motors with both. The motor in question is a M26T, which has a tachometer but no potentiometer.

Digital motors, like the Preston, use a digital encoder that puts out pulses, so you can monitor both speed (by measuring the pulse's frequency) and position (by counting the pulses). But these motors only work with systems built for them, like the Preston FI+Z or the Scorpio.

I'm afraid it isn't a case of Fred's or my ignorance. What you are asking for doesn't exist and cannot be made.

Jim "trying to sharpen my signal to crystal clarity" Bartell

#3 Larsnip

Larsnip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:05 AM

Thanks Jim, after talking to both you and Jim on the Phone this has become clear to me.
Thanks again!

#4 Matt Petrosky

Matt Petrosky

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 190 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:42 PM

So Jim is the M26P a 5-pin?

What about a PT?

Just curious... thanks.

#5 JimBartell

JimBartell

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 494 posts
  • Long Beach, CA, USA

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:54 PM

So Jim is the M26P a 5-pin?

What about a PT?

Just curious... thanks.

Yes, the M26P is a 5-pin, as is the M32P and the M28VP, etc. The PT's are 7 pin and will work also, they just require a different cable. Basically, any Heden motor with a P (for potentiometer) anywhere after the model number will work.

Jim "gotta go P" Bartell

#6 nick franco

nick franco

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • San Fernando, CA

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:26 AM

Hey Matt, nice to see The Cheat!

Omnishot Systems

Boland Communications

Engineered Cinema Solutions