• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan Keslow

Jordan Keslow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

Ever since using the India mount I have always wanted one...or one like it. With the help of my grip buddy, Chuck May, we created an "updated" modular India mount. The steel fitting is incredibly strong and made for any 2 inch receiver. The mount is drilled to allow the Speed Rail to be placed practically anywhere the operator needs...regular or goofy. The top of the Speed Rail is then braced to the car by daisy chain webbing which prevents any possible rattling. Let me know your thoughts...

Attached File  IMG_1080.JPG   175.44KB   41 downloads

Edited by Jordan Keslow, 26 January 2015 - 09:01 PM.

#2 Jordan Keslow

Jordan Keslow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

Attached File  IMG_1085.JPG   166.54KB   41 downloads

#3 Jordan Keslow

Jordan Keslow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

Attached File  IMG_1081.JPG   154.09KB   37 downloads

#4 Jess Haas SOC

Jess Haas SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1145 posts
  • Culver City, CA

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

I like it. I have something similar to this: hitch_step_black.jpgthat I bolted a speedrail fitting to. I then add some additional rigging to get rid of play and add additional support.

#5 Sanjay Sami

Sanjay Sami

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 429 posts
  • India

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

Looks good. Make sure the welding on the speedrail receiver to square section piece is good. There is an awful lot of torque that is being held by welding. Why not consider adding gussets there to strengthen the vertical receiver ?

#6 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:44 PM

Just make sure to check the specs on the hitch itself...I am no towing professional but the towing capacity and tongue ratings are always vastly different on the same hitches. You plus a rig/camera will be 200+ lbs a foot or so away from the received which multiplies the forces exponentially. Just be careful.

#7 Sanjay Sami

Sanjay Sami

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 429 posts
  • India

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:38 AM

Another thing to remember is about loading daisy chains. They were designed for clipping climbing gear into. The loops are not sewn to handle any kind of dynamic load. They are convenient to use and frequently abused, but their purpose is not to restrain humans. Use webbing slings where needed.

#8 Jens Piotrowski SOC

Jens Piotrowski SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 1656 posts
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

i personally don't like the connection point between the vertical and horizontal (round to square) axis. The leverage is huge from the weight of the rig not to mention the body leaning force, prone to failure....

#9 Jordan Keslow

Jordan Keslow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

Looks good. Make sure the welding on the speedrail receiver to square section piece is good. There is an awful lot of torque that is being held by welding. Why not consider adding gussets there to strengthen the vertical receiver ?

Yes multiple gussets in place.

Attached File  IMG_1115.JPG   79.44KB   27 downloads

#10 Jordan Keslow

Jordan Keslow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

Attached File  IMG_1112.JPG   80.29KB   28 downloads

Edited by Jordan Keslow, 04 February 2015 - 08:37 PM.

#11 Jordan Keslow

Jordan Keslow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:41 PM

Just make sure to check the specs on the hitch itself...I am no towing professional but the towing capacity and tongue ratings are always vastly different on the same hitches. You plus a rig/camera will be 200+ lbs a foot or so away from the received which multiplies the forces exponentially. Just be careful.

Class III 2 inch hitch...4000lbs limit.

Attached File  IMG_1110.JPG   77.79KB   27 downloads

#12 Jordan Keslow

Jordan Keslow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

i personally don't like the connection point between the vertical and horizontal (round to square) axis. The leverage is huge from the weight of the rig not to mention the body leaning force, prone to failure....

Jens,

True there is lots of leverage involved, because of this the decision to go from round to square was made to preventing rolling/spinning which is possible in a (round to round) design. The square design increases strength. 

#13 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

I see a 600 lb tongue weight...do the math, and be scared ;-)

#14 Jordan Keslow

Jordan Keslow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:09 PM

Copy.

Thanks for your input.

#15 RonBaldwin

RonBaldwin

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 2351 posts
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:19 PM

Don't be angry pal...just trying to send a little caution your way. Check the gear that holds your life in it's little, underrated hands. As you pointed out, I admittedly am not a towingbpreofessional, neither are you. I am however a steadicam professional and have seen shit go south that everyone thought was solid. Enjoy

rebotnix Technologies

PLC - Bartech

Omnishot Systems

Engineered Cinema Solutions

Teradek

Wireless Video Systems

BOXX

Boland Communications

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus