• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Emily St. Pierre

Emily St. Pierre

• Sustaining Members
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

I'm looking into a cheap back up option for a Baseplate with a rod support system that is compatible with a Steadicam Archer Dovetail plate. It would be for the volunteer small indie productions that i'm doing to gain experience and skill.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should go for that isn't super expensive. I've been looking into this: http://www.bhphotovi...T_EPIC_CAM.html

#2 Chris Van Campen

Chris Van Campen

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

Hi Emily - I picked up the Zacuto Universal a while ago when they dropped the price:

Looks like they have a new one about to be released at closer to $600. 

Anyway, it's a bit more cash but pretty bombproof. I also had a semi-stripped clamping lever on it and their support was excellent, mailing out a replacement one the next day. 

I'm a fan of Zacuto and would buy again. 

Good luck!

#3 Beau Cuizon

Beau Cuizon

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:31 PM

If you're looking for really, really affordable solutions you might want to check this out:

Cheeseplate Base

THE GOOD:  Cheap (60 bucks).  Very Solid.  Small.  Fits 15mm rails. Cheeseplate set up, lots of threaded holes.  Has some forward and aft adjustments.  Fits DSLR's and smaller cameras like the fs-100/700 and C100/300, AF-100.

THE BAD:  No vertical adjustments for rail clamps.  Plastic knobs, washers (metal screws, tho).  Small/short footprint. Shipped from Hong Kong, so I'm not sure how long it would take to get to you...

I have one, and it's pretty solid.  I used it for about a year on my shop's fs-700, and it worked fine.  Never stripped any threads, or busted any screws.  As for support, well...don't expect any, it costs 60 bucks. the company who makes this also makes a lot of handy little doodads, which you can find in their eBay store, most of which is of middling quality, but extremely affordable.

Here's a version with the vertical rail adjustments: Cheeseplate with Vertical Adjustment

Looks kinda tall, tho...maybe too tall?  I don't know.  Hope this helps!

#4 Brad Hinkle

Brad Hinkle

• Sustaining Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:18 AM

Hi Emily,  I like the option that Beau suggested.  Here is one that I like:

It's half the cost of the Zacuto and has adjustable height Rods and a Quick Release Plate.  It is going to put the center of gravity of the camera relatively high which could be an issue when balancing but I think it will work fine. 

#5 Michael Desiderio

Michael Desiderio

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

Get a high quality easily serviced Zacuto plate and call it a day. If it's something you plan to use frequently it's worth it. That Chinese plate above looks just awful.

Wireless Video Systems

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

GPI Pro Systems

PLC - Bartech

PLC Electronics Solutions

Varizoom Follow Focus

Boland Communications

Camera Motion Research

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Omnishot Systems

rebotnix Technologies