• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 richard bellon

richard bellon

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:15 PM

Hi all I was wondering... I saw somewhere there was a poll about hand above or below whilst doing low mode, And I'm sure everyone has their preference, but... I find having my hand above the gimbal way more comfortable than below but it feels very different like the forces are all reversed. Are there any tips on operating like this or is it a case of just practise it until if feels right? (Btw..i have a MK-V 1,5" carbon fibre post with MK-V gimbal)

#2 Janice Arthur

Janice Arthur

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

Operating above the gimbal takes your hand away from operating at the CG.

It's never been easy to reach below the gimbal and maintain good operating posture and why many many of us hated low mode.

Now longer posts make it impossible. Here's the trouble w operating above the gimbal, you are now using the post as a lever; which means any tiny movement by your hand is amplified.

I've tried it and can never get subtle moves and moves are also more angular. I had a handle that I made that clamped below the gimbal and reached up 6-8" and found all this out. It works great but boy is it a whole new learning curve. What is good is that your response to moves on the rig are much faster above the gimbal but much harder to make precise and nice to the eye.

Being as close to the gimbal as possible even strattling it is best

The anology that I always use is a tripod handle. At the end you can make small adjustments easily and nearer the tripod head you hold the handle the less reactive it is, a lever.

Have nice year.

#3 Jerry Holway

Jerry Holway

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 716 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:21 AM

Longer posts make it possible to have your hand under the gimbal at the c.g.! You don't have to reach so low... Also, the tilt head makes it so much easier as you don't have to reach even further to tilt up.

Certainly it's possible to operate with the hand above the gimbal, or around the gimbal, or grabbing the rig by any part. As Janice says, grabbing it anywhere other than the c.g. creates a lever, which tends in your hands to overwhelm the rig's inertia and move the frame around inadvertently. We've all done it, and it's a skill that can and should be practiced.

However, as an example, all of us older operators used to make great whip pans with the sled wildly out of dynamic balance. It was a learned skill, but it is clearly not the best or most precise way to make whip pans.

The best way to control the sled in any mode is to work at the c.g., without tension in your hand or wrist, and being in good posture. Sometimes you must compromise one thing or another, and perhaps lose some precision, to get the shot.

#4 Taj Teffaha

Taj Teffaha

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

Keep practicing Richard
I've operated above the gimbal in low mode for 17 years.
Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature and you'll always have good posture no matter how long the post is.

#5 Kevin Andrews SOC

Kevin Andrews SOC

Advanced Member

• Sustaining Members
  • 345 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

For low-low mode you can't help but operate above the gimbal (unless you have a longer than standard post) I find I'm controlling the sled somewhere around where the gimbal grip clamps the post when in low-low mode. That's around 6 inches away from the cg. It definitely takes a lighter touch but it can be done with great success with fingertip control. This is why I've always liked the idea of the Ultra2 and it's multiple post extensions. Lots of manufacturers are starting to fatten and expand their posts it seems. Good signs for the future. 

PLC - Bartech

rebotnix Technologies

Omnishot Systems

GPI Pro Systems

PLC Electronics Solutions

Paralinx LLC

Varizoom Follow Focus

Boland Communications

Betz Tools for Stabilizers

Ritter Battery

Wireless Video Systems

Camera Motion Research